• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Heavy Rounds / Shorter Barrels

cubewarrior

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2007
Dallas, TX
Want a shorter barrel in an AW.

How short can I go with the heavier Bergers/AMAXs in 308 and still have decent performance for F-Class?

Most of my other shooting is beyond 800 and suppressed.

Thanks

Re: Heavy Rounds / Shorter Barrels

AW is not exactly an F-class platform, though it will work. My AIAW has a 1-12 twist with a 26" barrel. If I was to shoot F-class with it, I would keep that length at 26" and shoot the 155g lapuas at 2900 fps. Realize you will be competing with guys with purpose built f-class TR rigs. Most will have 30" barrels and single shot bolt actions.

When I shoot F Class, I'm really doing it for feedback for my own shooting. That said, my goal is to be consistently within 10 inches at 1000. If a 20-22 inch barrel will maintain sufficient velocity with the heavier rounds, then that would be great.

where are you shooting F-Class in Virginia - Quantico? Just wondering.

I get excellent performance from the JLK 180 VLD long boat tails in a 12-twist 24" AE barrel: 45grs Varget in Lapua brass and BR2's gives 2710fps at 70 degrees touching the lands with a .580 BC bullet. MOA at 1000 in no wind. That's good enough for F class.

Just got back from TDY... Looking at the 178s or possibly the 180 VLDs. I'm going to try Graham's route.

Thanks

my gunsmith shoots 178gr SMK's out of his 18 inch REM 700 custom and at 600 yds I've seen him put up a group the size of a baseball......

Personally if I were going to go with a shorter barrel and still load the longer/heavier bullets I would just make sure that I have a twist rate to support it ( 1/11" or 1/10 ). I'm sure others on here may claim different experiences but I've personally witnessed short barreled 1/12 twists have trouble stabilizing 175SMK's at 1000. Rounds were starting to key hole at that distance and even 900y if I remember strait. Remember the less velocity you have, the more twist you need.

btw, the 178's and 180's aren't exactly what I would classify as a heavy bullet, but why take chances.

FWIW, Its better to know you have the right twist rate from the start than to spend the money on that barrel just to find out you need a faster twist.

With 45gr of ADI 2208 ( equivelent to Varget) behind a 168gr SMK through a 22 inch barrel with a 1 in 12 twist is good out to 800 yrds but start to keyhole at 900 yrds. Its a comfortable load to shoot all day and still under MOA.

Graham,

What's your COAL/ogive measurement with that load? What other bullets have you tried and what grains? Beyond magazine length for a short action i would assume. At a crossroads here which direction I want to go.
Also, what part of MI you from? SW here, just south of Benton Harbor.