• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hector Cafferata Shoot

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 6, 2011
    MA
    It is good we remember Hector Cafferata especially now when his enemy is the current enemy....

1608494932369.png

1608494956139.png

Well it aint the Chosin Reservoir but it is winter....

P1010144[1].JPG

Hector Cafferata fought the Chinese in horrible Chosin conditions for hours with no coat, no boots, and his foxhole mate had been blinded and could only load empty Garands for Hector to kill Chinese...

My quilt padded ChiCom.....

P1010143[1].jpg

Much easier for me...

I had coffee....

P1010149[1].JPG

Boots.....

P1010151[1].JPG

Cover......

P1010152[1].JPG

and a prettier Garand....

P1010147[1].JPG

P1010148[1].JPG

P1010155[1].JPG

Started off with my last 300 yard dope 21U/3L. Wasnt finding joy for the first 4 than I picked up a shot hole in the snow way left. Came right for an end sight setting of 20U/6R. Gonna need to figure why 9 MOA right change (27 inches?) to hit with a belt line hold. Lucky I got on steel at all with that much correction and poor conditions.

14/20

P1010156[1].jpg

Hector Cafferata's MOH citation credits him with a dozen or so Chicom KIA but his platoon mates say there was up to 200 enemy dead infront of his fighting position. In a great GCA article he recalled how their dark silhouettes were perfectly outlined in the white snow like targets.

Probably similar to what the guys in Bastogne where experiencing this date 76 years ago. At 30' though not near as cold as these guys dealt with.......

P1010158[1].JPG

Last edited:
    The first thing I noticed in those two pictures of him was the determination in his eyes. The first was obviously a pose. The second? At that point in his life...that’s not a pose. It’s natural.
    RIP

The first thing I noticed in those two pictures of him was the determination in his eyes. The first was obviously a pose. The second? At that point in his life...that’s not a pose. It’s natural.
    RIP

He does have a certain je ne sais quois that indicates "Fuck around and Find out"

It is good we remember Hector Cafferata especially now when his enemy is the current enemy....

View attachment 7507141

View attachment 7507142

View attachment 7507145

Hector Cafferata fought the Chinese in horrible Chosin conditions for hours with no coat, no boots, and his foxhole mate had been blinded and could only load empty Garands for Hector to kill Chinese...

View attachment 7507149

Much easier for me...

I had coffee....

View attachment 7507150

Boots.....

View attachment 7507151

Cover......

View attachment 7507154

View attachment 7507147

View attachment 7507148

View attachment 7507155

Started off with my last 300 yard dope 21U/3L. Wasnt finding joy for the first 4 than I picked up a shot hole in the snow way left. Came right for an end sight setting of 20U/6R. Gonna need to figure why 9 MOA right change (27 inches?) to hit with a belt line hold. Lucky I got on steel at all with that much correction and poor conditions.

14/20

View attachment 7507156

Hector Cafferata's MOH citation credits him with a dozen or so Chicom KIA but his platoon mates say there was up to 200 enemy dead infront of his fighting position. In a great GCA article he recalled how their dark silhouettes were perfectly outlined in the white snow like targets.

Probably similar to what the guys in Bastogne where experiencing this date 76 years ago. At 30' though not near as cold as these guys dealt with.......

View attachment 7507157

Thanks for sharing Hector Cafferata story for his story should be taught to all who live under the blanket of Freedom provided by brave Men and Women who serve.

OMG - I love this part, typical jarhead.

So I call Marine Corps HQ and "Sarge," I says, "I got a letter that says the President is going to give me the Medal of Honor " I said, "But I have no time " I says, "So, can't you mail it to me?" Jesus Christ, what a dumb thing to do. You know. They weren't happy!

OMG - I love this part, typical jarhead.

How about he is pissed because Truman stepped on his spit shined shoes being too short to reach up to his greater height and put the medal around his neck.

He ran a bar later in life. Guessing it was a great place to drink but you didn't get out of line.

Last edited:
    Great thread @pmclaine
    You and @sandwarrior @sirhrmechanic @buffalowinter are pretty much my top 4 favorite posters to read yall's contributions here on the 'hide, specifically here in the Vintage section. Been trying to keep up with the election fraud thread so much that I lost my way for a bit there between that and canvassing for Loeffler/Purdue every day hoping to keep the senate red, and forgot how much I love anything and everything Vintage surplus, custom Mausers, clones, etc..!!!
    So thanks a ton yall @sirhrmechanic @sandwarrior @buffalowinter @pmclaine and many more here in the vintage club. Yall absolutely rock gentlemen!

Great thread @pmclaine
    You and @sandwarrior @sirhrmechanic @buffalowinter are pretty much my top 4 favorite posters to read yall's contributions here on the 'hide, specifically here in the Vintage section. Been trying to keep up with the election fraud thread so much that I lost my way for a bit there between that and canvassing for Loeffler/Purdue every day hoping to keep the senate red, and forgot how much I love anything and everything Vintage surplus, custom Mausers, clones, etc..!!!
    So thanks a ton yall @sirhrmechanic @sandwarrior @buffalowinter @pmclaine and many more here in the vintage club. Yall absolutely rock gentlemen!

If Loeffler and Perdue are not elected there may not continue to be a vintage section.

• Sad
    Reactions: Forgetful Coyote
    Pics attached are from USMC Museum at Quantico, VA that has a large section on the Korean War. Highly recommended place to visit for those interested in this history. The Chosin Reservoir display is quite realistic, and since most of the fierce fighting took place late at night, that whole area has only very dim lights to give it proper ambiance. Moreover, that display area must have a special air conditioner as well - it blows extra cold air to really lower the temp for even more added ambiance(!). (Tank shown is the M26 Pershing, which was used extensively in the Korean War). Just an fyi post.

On edit: The name "Fozen Chosin" is an understatement. Nighttime temps late Nov to mid-Dec 1950 got down to minus (-)40 F (!), and in those frigid nights is when the Chinese "human wave" attacks would come. Severe frostbite impacted a lot of troops. Some weapons wouldn't work properly (or at all) in those well below freezing temps, but the M1 Garand reportedly performed pretty well overall. Cafferta said he shot his M1 so much "...that the overheated barrel set the upper handguard on fire several times," and he just put snow on it stop the fire and cool it off some...and then resumed using it.

Attachments

• 9n5bIR3.jpg
      9n5bIR3.jpg
      122.6 KB · Views: 70
    • g2b5HQh.jpg
      g2b5HQh.jpg
      113.5 KB · Views: 61
    • QSPq5Su.jpg
      QSPq5Su.jpg
      229 KB · Views: 69
    • RWXNzTn.jpg
      RWXNzTn.jpg
      166.9 KB · Views: 68
    • Pershing_tank_Quantico.JPG
      Pershing_tank_Quantico.JPG
      255.8 KB · Views: 76
    Last edited:
    Pics attached are from USMC Museum at Quantico, VA that has a large section on the Korean War. Highly recommended place to visit for those interested in this history. The Chosin Reservoir display is quite realistic, and since most of the fierce fighting took place late at night, that whole area has only very dim lights to give it proper ambiance. Moreover, that display area must have a special air conditioner as well - it blows extra cold air to really lower the temp for even more added ambiance(!). (Tank shown is the M26 Pershing, which was used extensively in the Korean War). Just an fyi post.
    Very Nice, Thanks for posting!!🇺🇸⚡

Except for the fact every second was a struggle to survive either against the elements or the enemy......I bet the area around the Chosin is beautiful.

When there was no weather Im thinking dry air, no light pollution, clear skies with unbelievable astronomical views.

Winter does have a certain beauty when its not trying to kill you.

I bet Mrs Lincoln did like the play to a point.

Reactions: Davo308
    From everything I have

View attachment 7507141

View attachment 7507142

View attachment 7507145

View attachment 7507149

Much easier for me...

I had coffee....

View attachment 7507150

Boots.....

View attachment 7507151

Cover......

View attachment 7507154

View attachment 7507147

View attachment 7507148

View attachment 7507155

14/20

View attachment 7507156

View attachment 7507157
    Very nice of you to bring this up. Our past & present war fighters have always done the heavy lifting. Sad part of that is most of our (current population) has not a care in the world about where we as a country came from.

Long may she wave.

R/
    CBDR

Reactions: pmclaine

On edit: The name "Fozen Chosin" is an understatement. Nighttime temps late Nov to mid-Dec 1950 got down to minus (-)40 F (!), and in those frigid nights is when the Chinese "human wave" attacks would come. Severe frostbite impacted a lot of troops. Some weapons wouldn't work properly (or at all) in those well below freezing temps, but the M1 Garand reportedly performed pretty well overall. Cafferta said he shot his M1 so much "...that the overheated barrel set the upper handguard on fire several times," and he just put snow on it stop the fire and cool it off some...and then resumed using it.

Did you see this when you visited....