• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Height for “lip” around shooting bench?

investorsc

Private
Minuteman
  • Hey all,

Spent the weekend building a dedicated bench for the home range. I thought (and several friends suggested) adding a lip on the non- seating edges to help catch errant brass and other gravity assisted departures from the bench area. I was thinking ( yeah- that usually means trouble…) 2” above the bench surface would be good but thought I’d throw it out to the masses for input!

Thanks in advance!

Bruce

Make sure it doesnt catch and hold water.

I probably would have just made a bigger bench vs trying to fence in the edges.

If you're just stopping brass rolling off, a quarter inch will do it. If you're trying to catch brass, I watched a guy in maryland use a pop up mesh laundry basket.

I would personally not find it comfortable to shoot off a bench with a 2 in lip from modified prone.

Reactions: Supersubes
    Hey all,

Spent the weekend building a dedicated bench for the home range. I thought (and several friends suggested) adding a lip on the non- seating edges to help catch errant brass and other gravity assisted departures from the bench area. I was thinking ( yeah- that usually means trouble…) 2” above the bench surface would be good but thought I’d throw it out to the masses for input!

Thanks in advance!

Bruce
    As previously mentioned, 1/4” or maybe 1/2” should suffice for the intended use.

s1KxnD.jpg

f0hLcg.jpg

I built this one several years back for our rifle range at camp. I cut the rounded edge off of some decking boards about 1” in height. The edge towards the target is fine for loading a bipod f you feel so inclined and the rest keeps brass from rolling off.