• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hello, First Build would like some feedback

Blazher

Private
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2009
Dublin, Eire
Hello all.

Long time reader, first time poster
laugh.gif

I am having a bit of a hard time making my mind up on a rifle.

From reading the forums and other sites i have came up with this list

<span style="font-weight: bold">Action</span> :: Surgeon short action ( /w Tri-Rail )

<span style="font-weight: bold">Barrel</span> :: Bartlein Barrels ( 24" or 26" parmla or HV profile fluted, 1/11" or 1/10" Twist )

<span style="font-weight: bold">Trigger</span> :: Jewell HVR with safety lever and no bolt release

<span style="font-weight: bold">Stock</span> :: AICS 1.5 /w Adjustable: Cheek piece & Length of pull

<span style="font-weight: bold">Scope</span> :: USO sn3 Tpal

this will be my first time using .308 i am used to shooting 6.5x55 - 6.5x284.

I will be using Factory Match Ammo only ( cant reload with permit laws ) So any ammo recommendations for 100-1000 yards would be great.

The Rifle will be used for tactical shooting paper to Metal and everything in between

Thanks for reading

Re: Hello, First Build would like some feedback

if you are going to go out to 1000 without being able to reload yourseld i would say the best one to get you there would be the lapua with the 155 scenar

I was looking at that aswell.

Dose anyone know if the Surgeon short action needs any work done after you get it, yes i know the point of getting a custom action is so this is all done. Lapping, Head scimming etc, But i was just wondering if any who has one had to do anything with em?

Why switch to 308??
Going from 6.5 to 308 is certainly a step backwards in ballistics.

My 308 rarely used after building 6.5x47 match rifle, i will always have a 308...i think thou a 7saum would be da shit

Modern 6.5x55 would be nice also

Sure 308 is traditional tactical round but more and more switching to 6.5 or 7

Just food for thought

6.5 and 7's are deffinetly good but you can find 168 fgm 308 in almost any gun store and the cost of ammo is a lot less than the newer hot rod chamberings

Hello all,

Thanks for the replys

I should have pointed out. I used 6.5 for civie f-class shooting. But as i will mainly be using.308/.338 in the Army i want to build a good rifle around it and get some rounds down range.

Reloading is a gray aura here in Ireland. So i will be using factory loads only.

If factory loads is all you'll be shooting, then .308 is a great choice, and your build specs look good.