• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hello from Austria

Tustjo

Private
Minuteman
Sep 30, 2023
Austria
Hello everyone,

as a newcomer I would like to take this opportunity to introduce myself.
I am 43 years old and come from Austria, I live in Vienna. Professionally, I studied forestry, but I work in the public sector in internal auditing.
I have always done shooting sports on the side, mainly clay pigeon shooting.

A few years ago, however, my father-in-law got a taste for it and since then we have been at the shooting range together every week. Our focus there was on handguns - until my father-in-law spontaneously bought a Tikka T3X Tag A1 in .308 a few months ago.

I took the opportunity to get a Rimfire rifle in .22lr, a CZ 457 LRP.
I now enjoy rifle shooting so much that I have to get myself a large-calibre rifle.

Now you have to know that the shooting range situation in Austria is not optimal for long range.
This means that in reality you can only shoot at 100 metres, in a reasonably accessible distance there is a stand for 300 metres, and that's it.
You can shoot at 1000 metres twice or three times at an Austrian military range, but this is negligible.
For these reasons, I will also use a rifle in .223 calibre, because this calibre is sufficient for the distance. But I will ask you separate questions on this subject :)

Basically, I am a complete beginner, especially when it comes to ballistics, and I am in the process of acquiring some basic knowledge.
I am looking forward to a lively exchange!

Have a nice day!

Reactions: Balor and Tall909
Welcome!
Given 100 meters with a .22 LR is close to 500 drop and wind wise with a .308 it is not something to ignore training wise.
If you have matches near you that are equivalent to PRS or NRL22 near you look into them. If not perhaps look into starting something up.

I shoot my rimfire exclusively at 100m and also compete - with quite respectable success - in mixed events.
I want to shoot big bore because many interesting competitions are not permitted for rimfire.
And because I want a new rifle again :)