• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hello from Chicago

Mincer

JAFO
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2013
Chicago, IL
Hello,
I'm a regular Chicago guy that grew up in the 'burbs and has taken a liking to guns and shooting sports over the past year.
I do what I can given my geographic location and time constraints (job, wife & kids)...but Chicago (Cook County) is NOT very gun friendly and I'm not your "typical" gun enthusiast that's had a background in hunting, military or LE. I'm just a guy that that has had a long standing interest in guns and has finally decided to scratch that itch. Others have told me that I'm a good shot for a being such a noob.
That said, I'm not interested being "tacti-cool", dressing up and pretending I'm on a seal team or making You-Tube videos of myself doing full auto Glock mag dumps. What I like about guns and shooting (specifically long range shooting) is the quest for perfection. I really get into the mechanics of a a well tuned machine and the and discipline that being a great marksman requires. I am here primarily to share information and hopefully make a friend or two. It would be great to find other like-minded individuals in the area to go shooting with since any decent outdoor ranges are going to involve 1+ hours of driving time.

I currently own a Ruger piston driven AR with multiple optics for close to mid range targets and a 9mm semi auto pistol. I'd like to get some more information before getting into an entry level long range rifle (hopefully Santa will be good to me this year). I'd also like to start reloading and doing load development for that rifle.

As for long term goals and dreams, I did spend a couple years working at my father's machine shop doing setups, custom tooling and quality control when I was in my twenties (I'm turning 40 this year). I really learned a great deal about machining to very specific tolerances. It was hot, dirty, oily work that I hated at the time, but I have to admit I miss working with my hands and crafting something amazing from a raw piece of metal. Having my own workshop and developing custom rifle components would be a dream hobby for me.
Looking forward to being part of this forum!
-M