• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hello from Idaho

Litheran

Sportsman
Minuteman
Aug 28, 2014
Idaho
Nice to meet you, name's Randy but feel free to call me Ran.

I'm an avid sportsman and hunter who after years of learning shooting and fieldcraft skills joined Law Enforcement. Now those skills are being added to and replaced with tactical/combat shooting skills. I'm also a vounteer instructor for hunters education and archery. I'm not satisfied with where I'm at now and am planning a jump to the military in the next few months. Sharpshooting/marksmanship and the role of the sniper has always interested me and my aim is to become one after enlisting; I'm still figuring out my options on that. I know that in some instances it's best to not learn too much before going into the service as each branch wants you to learn "their" way and not pick up any bad habits. I can say as an instructor though that I understand this belief and will not have a problem accepting changes to any preconceived notions. Right now I'm trying to pick up the shorthand of terminology and skills, and I'm also studying Farsi to facilitate my career possibilities.

-Ran.

Welcome to the site from a fellow Idahoian, I to am in law enforcement and did a stint in the military. What part of the state do you reside and what branch of the service are you looking/ decided on?

-Sikko

Welcome to the site from a fellow Idahoian, I to am in law enforcement and did a stint in the military. What part of the state do you reside and what branch of the service are you looking/ decided on?

-Sikko

Born and raised in the Treasure Valley; use to be on the outskirts but the last twenty years or so the population exploded and all my great grandfather's property has been sold off, leaving nothing but two acres and a ram shackle barn. Some day I'd like to purchase some property backed up to the Frank Church wilderness area up north.

It's been a long struggle getting into the military for me. My step-brother is a Marine and several of my friends and fellow officers are as well. I'm over 28 now, and will have to receive a medical waiver. From what I understand the Corps is drawing down, so it's unlikely I would be cleared. I have been speaking to the ARMY for the majority of the five year process and I have always been impressed by the ARMY sniper core and the Rangers and SF. Went to MEPS which is where they cited me as having lost muscle mass in my legs, which happens when you lose 100 lbs. in a year.

Didn't do it like I should have so the last two years I've been following a cardio and weight training regimen while incorporating better nutrition and supplements/protein. After the civilian doctor clears me I will go back to MEPS and hopefully sign my papers. I was ineligible for an 18X contract because of a judgment through the courts. That's being garnished right now so that is yet another thing I will have to look into getting approved for if they have any available. Doubtful I know, and honestly I don't care if I need to go infantry as planned and then earn the right to attend sniper school, after which I would work towards Ranger selection or vice versa. Not getting ahead of myself I swear, just stating my intent for advancement.

Whichever branch I manage to get into I know there will be experienced shooters that I can learn from, and if I apply myself and hone my skills I could very well get a chance to cross train and work with other branches, though now that my status has changed I will be talking to the Marine recruiter again to cover my bases.

Last edited: