• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hello from Illinois

CavReconScout

Gunny Segeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 18, 2013
    Illinois
    I just purchased a Savage 10TR, and am new to the bolt action rifle. A friend recommended this site as a resource, so I am here to learn. I do have experience with the AR-15/M16, having served in the ILARNG for 7 years as a 19D3H, and 17 years as a LEO, currently as a Patrol Sgt. I have also reloaded for some time, and have started working up loads for the Savage. At this time the rifle appears to be more capable than the shooter, but I have hopes that will quickly change :)

Welcome to the Hide. I'll likely be moving to Illiniois when I'm done overseas and have been hunting for ranges and shooting buddies. Whereabouts in the state are you?

Welcome! Great people and valuable information here. Most questions answered in quick fashion, but always try using the search function first, since you may quickly find your answers that way. Most good rifles shoot better than their owners initially, but with lots of practice that will gradually change. Totally different and much more satisfying for me than AR shooting. Enjoy, but realize you're now hooked and there's no turning back.... Have fun and good shooting. Finding good long range shooting venues can be difficult, especially in Eastern states. 50 cal ranges even more scarce. If you ever get to Arizona, look me up and we'll go out for some nice "Recoil Therapy".
    :cool:

Last edited:
    Thanks for the warm welcome! If I make it to Arizona I will take you up on the kind offer! I am in the LaSalle Peru / Ottawa area. The Savage really is different from the AR15, even my 6.8SPC SPR clone. I seem to learn something new everytime i shoot it. Bogeybrown Illinois is a lot different than the media would lead you to believe, once you get out of the Chicagoland area. A good resource for Illinois firearm related news is the Illinois State Rifle Association web site. I am registered for the John McPhee class being held at the Aurora Sportsman Club in October, and plan on using the Savage. Should be a good time, and I plan on learning a lot. Sorry about the rambling reply, I worked last night and apparently need some sleep.:cool:

Yeah, I know that the vast majority of the state has common sense, unfortunately they're not the ones who RUN the state, and I'll actually be moving to the South Burbs of Chicago (outside the city limits at least) where my brother has a craft beer bar I'm going to give him a hand with. The biggest headache I've found so far is that I'll have to lock up my suppressor in a safe deposit box in Indiana and will have to use a range out of state to shoot it.
    I'll be up there in October and was considering whether or not I was going to be sober enough to do the Service Rifle clinic at Aurora at the end of Oct. It sounds as though we may be running into each other on the range once I get moved.