• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hello from Iowa

RangeLow

Private
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2024
Mingo, IA
Hello from Iowa, very happy to be a new member here. I recently EAS'd and was fortunate to find some land that I can shoot on. I am initially working towards shooting in my local NRL22 matches and will see where it goes from there. I am enthusiastic to learn about pretty much everything at this point. I have gotten tons of information from this site that has informed a majority of my choices while building out my rifles and I hope to contribute some of the things that I have learned in return.
V/R

Congrats on getting out and getting into something cool. Great resources and people in here. I am in central Iowa. Where are you at? There’s a ton of great marches coming up this month and next in Iowa. I definitely recommend RO’ing some matches if you can. It’s a great way to learn the ins and outs of matches and pickup tips from seasoned shooters. There’s a PRS pro series match coming up in two weeks, QP gas gun match in April and several others in the surrounding area.

Hey! Thanks for the welcome!
I am in central Iowa as well, Mingo which is near Bondurant. I am pretty excited about the upcoming shooting season, this is the first one that I am going to be involved in any capacity. I will most definitely go with your advice and get out and RO to gain some more exposure until I get my "sea legs" under me.
Could I trouble you for a good resource to see what matches are going on around central Iowa? I have been using the NRL22 website and was able to find the two clubs around us (White Pine Precision Shooters and Skunk River Practical Rimfire) but it sounds like there is a lot more coming up.
Thanks again for the reply to the thread, hope to see you around!

Hey! Thanks for the welcome!
I am in central Iowa as well, Mingo which is near Bondurant. I am pretty excited about the upcoming shooting season, this is the first one that I am going to be involved in any capacity. I will most definitely go with your advice and get out and RO to gain some more exposure until I get my "sea legs" under me.
Could I trouble you for a good resource to see what matches are going on around central Iowa? I have been using the NRL22 website and was able to find the two clubs around us (White Pine Precision Shooters and Skunk River Practical Rimfire) but it sounds like there is a lot more coming up.
Thanks again for the reply to the thread, hope to see you around!
Oh right man. You’re closer to high lakes outdoor alliance. They have a really nice range with berms out to just under 800. Prs props and stuff there to practice on.

As for resources, lookup Iowa Precision rifleman club and Iowa precision rifle match (iprm) on Facebook. If you’re not on Facebook, you can still pull up their pages for schedules. IPRM hosts a really nice entry level match several times a year at different ranges in iowa. Really good place to just show up and and see how you do with a low entry fee.

You’ll find info for the bigger matches like PRS and NRL hunter on those pages as well. Usually a match director will put out some info about events and also posts looking for RO’s.

That being said, if you RO next weekends Southern iowa showdown PRS match, you get free entry into the following weekends 1 day match put in by GE precision. I’m gonna be shooting this match but there are some top level shooters showing up to the first pro series 2 day in iowa and RO’ing gives you an opportunity to watch how 120+ shooters approach a stage. If you’re interested, find the post about RO’ing and get ahold of the match director ( Matt Sabotka)

Now one really cool thing about the NRL hunter matches is that if you volunteer to RO, you can shoot the match for free (huge value) on registration day and have your points count with the other competitors for prizes as well as walk the RO prize table, then you can watch squads of shooters shoot your stage and learn all sorts of different techniques and tips. I’m doing that for the Vortex whitetail madness match in Missouri the 22-24th.

Lastly, make an account (for free) on practiscore.com This is where your scores are tracked and where you will sign up for matches. You can filter what kind of match you’re looking for and a radius of travel and it will tell you all of the matches coming up. There’s way more out there than you’d think and iowas precision rifle scene has exponentially grown in the last 5 years since I got out and came back home.

Hope all that helps and I hope to see you around!
IMG_2175.png

Im in bondurant. Hit up facebook, skunk river practical rimfire shooters. Nrl22 every month in ames. White pine shooters is in marshalltown they also do nrl22. Bother either one of them, and theyll set you up. Also carrol county shooting sports does nrl22 also but its a bit of a drive from polk county. however, they have a nice range and its great to shoot with them. All of them are really nice. You could shoot this weekend in marshalltown!