• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hello from southern Maryland

cruikshank

Sarge
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2008
Old Army guy, then LEO, now paramedic.

Just wanted to check in and say hi. I’ve been around on here since 2008. Back when a .308 and mildot reticle was the recipe for success.

I was lucky enough to get in on a group buy for a Sako Quad .22 “trainer”. Inlet into a Manners stock, Lilja barrel and Jared Joplin putting them together. It’s still one of my favorite rifles. And what my son learned to shoot with a scope on. Countless thousands of rounds, and still shoots lights out! Lots of guys thought it was pretty stupid. I’m glad I didn’t listen.

It’s amazing to now see Vudoo and RimX and all the full size stocks and chassis set up for 22 actions. So much has changed, and so much stays the same.

I’m in my 40’s now. Career
has slowed down a bit. Schedule is more forgiving. Finances are a bit better. And my son is 12. He even has shown some signs of accepting that dad knows what he’s talking about sometimes.

We shoot regularly again now. He’s expressed interest in NRL22 comps All on his own. Dad is busy trying to switch over to Mils and drooling over all the new “wind cheater” cartridges out. And my God, the reticles available now!

We are on track to have everything set up for next season. And use comps as an excuse to travel and see more of this amazing nation.

We do most of our shooting on the property here. Can get 200m. Would love to get pointed to some ranges in the mid Atlantic that might get us
some more distance.

I’ll apologize in advance for all the dumb questions to come.

Thanks for being such an amazing resource.

Reactions: Dragonscout25
Hi @cruikshank,

Not a ton of range choices in Southern MD. You've got Quantico for 1000yd or Delmarva Sporting Clays in Cambridge on Eastern Shore. I normally go to Delmarva. They have several pistol ranges, covered rifle bench only 50-300 yd, & a 500yd range with a 100yd sighter berm where you can shoot prone or try barricade etc. No ammo restrictions & steel + target frames are provided. I'll be there this weekend to try and prove my large frame DPMS project will eat anything reliably. One last note about Delmarva is that they probably have more guns in stock then Cabelas although not advertised on their web sight.

Shoot me a PM some time if you want to meet up there.

Reactions: Dragonscout25
Welcome to the Hide from Middle Georgia. Great intro Brother! Glad to see your son is intergrating the skills and disciplines already. With a Dad like you, he'll be a good man someday. Looks like you're already linking up with folks and that's awesome as well. Keep us posted how y'all are doing and glad to have ya here, maybe your son can get in on the learning and posting as well. Talk about digging him in deep!

Reactions: cruikshank