• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hello from Tampa Bay, FL

Fx51LP308

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Apr 8, 2021
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Hello all! I come with a little over 5 years of active involvement in 2A, but my journey started way back in summer day camp at age 10. One of the counselors (and the bus driver for the camp) was an NRA instructor and took us once a week to a range in a private school where we shot .22LR single shot bolt action rifles. Now I'm ready to continue that journey into the Long Range arena and I look forward to all the expertise offered here.

Thanks much, and it's good to meet y'all.

Regards,
    Arnold
    Tampa Bay, FL.

Last edited:
    Welcome from the east side of the Bay in Lithia.

Have you been to JTAC yet?

Volusia county here. JTAC is your best bet where you are.

Thanks much! No, I haven't been there yet, as I'm just starting in Long Range. I have to start from the beginning... choosing my rifle and caliber and optics, and learning how to use my introductory rifle at 100yds, then 500, and, then, 1000yds. When I get up to those distances (500-1000 yds) then it makes perfect sense to consider a JTAC type range. Until then, I have "Shooter's World" in Tampa (with an indoor 100yd range) and "Dade City Rod and Gun Club" for outdoor.

Right now, I'm going through the process of choosing my introductory rifle and scope. I'll be reading all the sub-forums here to get a good idea of what you are using. Then I'll make a choice. Once mastered, it will then be time to move up in caliber, etc. .

Thanks much!

Reactions: lash
    Welcome from jax.
    lots of good guy down your way to help you spend your money. Jtac is a nice range for sure

Thanks much! No, I haven't been there yet, as I'm just starting in Long Range. I have to start from the beginning... choosing my rifle and caliber and optics, and learning how to use my introductory rifle at 100yds, then 500, and, then, 1000yds. When I get up to those distances (500-1000 yds) then it makes perfect sense to consider a JTAC type range. Until then, I have "Shooter's World" in Tampa (with an indoor 100yd range) and "Dade City Rod and Gun Club" for outdoor.

Right now, I'm going through the process of choosing my introductory rifle and scope. I'll be reading all the sub-forums here to get a good idea of what you are using. Then I'll make a choice. Once mastered, it will then be time to move up in caliber, etc. .

Thanks much!

Get that rifle built, buy a FFP optic with mil turrets and come on out to JTAC.

We'll get you zeroed and banging steel at 500 on day one.

Hell, I can get you on the 525yd pig with Rebecca's little 300BO. It's a hoot.

ECB6EE67-1FDD-4BCB-98E1-06A61C58CFCB.jpeg

Not taking anything away from the rpr and also dont know what your budget is but may want to take a look at the masterpiece arms pmr. I think it may be a little more bang for your buck. Will already have a trigger in it. Can be ordered with a triggertech or timney trigger. Will take most ar type grips, has a 20moa rail on top if a curtis action and a fairly decent barrel. Built in arca system
    as well. Just a thought. Or talk with rick scrivens at gcp rifle co down in venice. He is coming out with a prs production class rifle here shortly. He builds some fine rifles as well as being a pretty dang good shooter.
    i too know how to spend other peoples money😃😃

Not taking anything away from the rpr and also dont know what your budget is but may want to take a look at the masterpiece arms pmr. I think it may be a little more bang for your buck. Will already have a trigger in it. Can be ordered with a triggertech or timney trigger. Will take most ar type grips, has a 20moa rail on top if a curtis action and a fairly decent barrel. Built in arca system
    as well. Just a thought. Or talk with rick scrivens at gcp rifle co down in venice. He is coming out with a prs production class rifle here shortly. He builds some fine rifles as well as being a pretty dang good shooter.

I will consider a custom built rifle after I master my stock rifle. I have to get good on the stock one, first. Then, I'll consider it.

Thanks, though!

Speaking of spending money.
    Did you know that Dan bought an Origin/Proof 6.5 Manbun/TT?
    I had to open his barrel channel up just a bit to get that little bitty Comp contour to fit. 😁

I went all out and paid for these this week. 🤣🤣

20210412_184258.jpg

Thanks much!
    Get your rig and then please consider coming out as a guest of ours, pay the one day fee and experience what you get at JTAC. Then go to Shooters World and see what you don't get and I have a feeling you are going to shoot at JTAC off the bat. I've run into several former SW customers at JTAC who can't believe they waited as a matter of fact met 2 last weekend. Can be outside in the sun or the shade practicing at 100 all you like with no crowds....and dial up and thwack the pig at 525. Then realize you can probably do a lot more than you think! Hope to see you out there let us know. And no joke everyone I have met there has been so great up to and including the staff. One single sour puss in 7 months there he was a 1 and done guy from Manatee never saw him again. I think you will be thrilled with a decision to come shoot at JTAC.

If ELR is your desire your chance to run into and learn from guys like @Mike Casselton and @lash are way greater too at JTAC b/c that's all they do. These 2 guys have forgotten more this week than I'll ever learn.

Last edited:
    If ELR is your desire your chance to run into and learn from guys like @Mike Casselton and @lash are way greater too at JTAC b/c that's all they do. These 2 guys have forgotten more this week than I'll ever learn.
    Yeah, but I heard that the stuff you learn from those two reprobates will get you in trouble in 42 states and some countries.

Reactions: Mike Casselton
    Yeah, but I heard that the stuff you learn from those two reprobates will get you in trouble in 42 states and some countries.
    I can neither confirm or deny 42 states.....thinking it's 50 now.

• Haha
    Be careful Fx....Casselton @Mike Casselton has a way of taking your $1,500 budget and stretching it to $2,500 in minutes. Hell, he got Dan @8pointer to move to a proof barrel and origin action. I nearly fell off the shitter when I heard the news. 8pointer has his wallets made from Frog's asses.

• Haha
    Be careful Fx....Casselton @Mike Casselton has a way of taking your $1,500 budget and stretching it to $2,500 in minutes. Hell, he got Dan @8pointer to move to a proof barrel and origin action. I nearly fell off the shitter when I heard the news. 8pointer has his wallets made from Frog's asses.
    Heck yeah! That’s what I’m talkin’ ‘bout...

So I noticed. :D Don't worry. I'm very careful with my budget and will not allow anyone or anything to exceed it. Being "retired" and on a fixed income, I have to be.

I should be able to acquire the weapon in another two months. Then another 1-2 for the scope. And then some ammo, later. After that, then I can see about joining JTAC. I do like the facility and the willingness of those to "help me spend my $$$" :D Fear not. Because I won't let that happen. Not all at once, at least.

Small Steps at first.

All - it's been a pleasure to be on the Hide. I've learned a lot.

Just a couple of curious questions about the site itself. I see some members here bear the title "PX Member." I assume that means you've qualified for the "Post Exchange" trading section of the form (i.e. became a "sponsor" etc. and / or done one trade in the exchange.). Still, I see some members have a blue background, and then others have two titles, one with a blue background and one with a "red" background. So, I'm not sure of the difference between the two. And I gather that being a Sponsored member allows you to greate your own description title (i.e. not the standard military grades but your own words).

Just curious as to how all that works. Is there an FAQ, perhaps?

One other curious question. I understand some of the "thread category titles" that one can pick for the particular thread that interests (i..e "Ammo" "Optics" etc. etc. But there is one I don't understand.

What is "Maggie's" and/or who was Maggie? Just curious....

OK, getting the hang of the hide pretty well! I have my "safety inspection" appointment with JTAC in mid July. By then, the RPR should be ready (a lot of the parts are coming in already). I have the scope now... that thing is "YUGE!" A lot bigger than that little Bushnell 3x12 I have on my AR-15.

Just a couple of more questions about the site. I understand now how "achievements" work. In fact, I just got my 1st one (completed profile). But I don't see any site resource that explains the "titles" (e.g. "Minuteman", etc.). In particular, how does one acquire the "Full Member" title?

Thanks much!

Achievements reminds me of video game stuff.
    They are important if you need them to be important.
    Otherwise you can ignore them just like the unused feedback stuff.

Sometimes, I feel like I'm watching my kids play Skyrim and all of a sudden, something is unlocked...