• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hello from the Midwest

LDsIlls

Private
Minuteman
Jan 7, 2024
Midwest
Im Larry,

Around 70 years young and getting back into shooting as its getting harder and harder to trap critters and call them because of my lack of two legged mobility.

Just yesterday in my cousin (really more like my brother) shop we were chatting. We think it was somewhere at the age of 7-10 we started shooting alone. Both of us had Lever cock BB guns and no sparrow, starling or pigeon was safe. We were good enough with those BB guns that were asked to shoot them when the Linn County Fair was on, to rid the stock barns of invader birds.

But at the feed store we were just know as "the boys who were pretty darn good shots" and that earned us a bottle of soda from the 10 cent soda machine each time we loaded feed or seed corn. But because of it we were also asked to spend a few afternoons shooting rats and mice if they got a new delivery from the RR cars. Later, probably around 11 my cousin got to shoot a Winchester 1890 pump left by a guy that needed gas. The guy never returned and my cousin is still waiting to give it back :) I had a Western Auto Revelation bolt hand me down. We both shot .22 shorts as that's all the 1890 would handle. And when you were competitive at shooting rabbits in the head on the run it evened the Sunday tournament. First one to shoot 10 rabbits won but heads shots only! Amazing how fast you can learn to scoop poop when your reward is shooting rabbits on the run.

I shot in the Nam Era and I still have my a sister rifle to my service Winchester Model 70 30-06 in push feed light game rifle. Its good to know the great guys at the Naval Base Coronado Armory that would take your civilian rifle and duplicate it! Still amazes me today how they like we young hunters in the military as Scouts! Gosh I wish I would of never raised my hand! Haha.

Nowadays I shoot a Savage 12BVSS in .22 250 (which I started to modify heavily), a Rem Model 700 BDL in 22-250 my calling gun, a REM 660 in 6MM because its fun and my trapping rifle a Henry Lever Action .17HMR because it can kill a badger at 180 yards. But as I said most have not been "really" shot in 20 years.

That's my shooting life,

Thanks for having me!

Last edited: