• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hello, I need help w/new Remington Stainless 5R.

JIF

Private
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2013
Land of Oz
EDIT: In typical NOOB form I missed the other thread on this very subject. My apologies and thanks to those who have replied and those that cut me some slack. I am really looking forward to this endeavor for to reasons: 1) The test of knowledge/skill/ability and 2) Another interest my son and I can share.

I recently purchased a model 700 with the 5R SS barrel. It was my understanding that this is a "P." I was told it is now a "P" model because Remington wanted to get away with the PSS or police sniper special nomenclature. Honestly I am a little confused after recieving the rifle. I totally trust the shop and know the manager that sold me the gun, just trying to figure out where this gun fits since it is not in the Remington website info. I know the P models have 26" barrels, and some other "upgrades" like an custom stock and bedding. I assume this one does? It does have the sweet trigger. I also assume it is a long action? Old timer with guns/hunting but new to precision shooting per se. My son is finishing his Master's in Mechanical Engineering and we have been spending some great time together handgunning. I have always liked shooting rifles and this will be the platform for us to start in this sport/art.

Many thanks to my new friends!

The factory box label reads,

A new use for a guitar stand.......

Last edited:
Thats a great rifle, better than the 700p. Install good glass, 20moa base and rings a cheek piece (karsten). Torque that h&s sock to its proper inch pounds along with the base and rings. Get a jewel trigger or lighten the x-mark pro trigger to 3lbs and you are done.. With good match ammo or hand loads you will be hitting targets out to 1k in no time.. Congrats.

Just give that X mark pro trigger to anybody that thinks they're worth a shit and buy a Jewell. Nice looking rig, reminds me of my SPSS.
REaQbCm.jpg

As far as what it's called, just 700 5r mil-spec 24". It is a short action. The stock has an aluminum bedding block made into the stock.

Depending on how mechanically inclined you are, you can get a spring kit from Ernie's that will make the trigger much better or just upgrade to a Timney or Jewell or any ther of the offerings.

Stick with 175 or 168 Grain Sierra matching bullets and you will be happy.

20 MOA base and some good 6-24 glass and shoot till your heart is content or your wallet empty, whichever comes first.

Happy shooting!

Ryan