• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hello - My SA M1A

Mav68erick

Private
Minuteman
Aug 26, 2012
Jackson, Michigan
Hello been browsing the sight for the last month or so, was reading on optics as my friend pushed me towards a NF scope, was settled on a Vortex PST but with no luck of finding one I decided to bite the bullet and go big for the time being, as most likely this will go on a bolt action and ill get something more pratical for the M14. Although it looks so bad ass = )

- Standard M1A
- Sadlak Airborne Mount
- Sadlak bipod adapter
- Harris Bipod
- NF 5.5-22x 50 MoarF2 Ret
- Mark 4 Low Rings
- Coyote M1A 1" 7/8 cheek pad ( Thought it was to tal but Ive got a small head )

Ok so Ive wanted an M1A for a while, always liked the shorter scout versions better, as I never cared for the front sight or the look, then they started to grow on me. Went to a gun store trip with some guys at work and seen a synthetic, so I molested it for a bit and thought the price was good but didnt intend to buy. Two weeks later I call them and its gone sigh. So I go into my local overpriced gunstore and they have a wood stock. Now same thing on my 870 I wanted black syntehic but the wood was so nice on it I feel in love. So I told the guy Id go home and think about it, but I was really going to the bank and to get a vehicle to pick it up with as I rode there on my motorcycle thinking i was gonna be overpriced or not even have 1.

Well anyways I cant remember what the guy told me 1.5" or 1" groups once you get there dont touch anything, Even the M14 on the FA site the Snipe elite version for 3K only gurantees 1.5" with Hornady Match ammo, well let me tell you Im not to great in my technique in shooting and my trigger is really hard to get consistent with, need to geta NM upgrade or something because I tend to pull it bad and get stuck in a rut and keep repeating it.

Put some remington core lokt 180 grains 185 w/e they are through it and got 1.305" group thought thats acceptable. considering they had lead tips that werent very true or consistent between rounds.

Got me some 168 Federal GM, PPU 168s and Blackhills 168, really upset in the 30 dollar blackhills box, the brass was pitted dinged up and dented bad, 75% of the brass hand dent in them and big dents! around the necks, think im gonna stick to Federal as cheaper then dirt has it for 22 bucks a box but neways. Last sunday in a light breeze I got a 1" group after sighting in and then a .695" group, it seems the first shots always right on or close then the following shots go high and drift to the right. I need to work on my consistency because I cant repeat it consistenly enough, dunno if I need to wait X amount of time between shots to let the barrel settle or what.

But heres some pics hope you enjoy

225107_3777937096365_1741868492_n.jpg

I really wanted the Mildot scope cabelas had this Moar figured it was easier to learn on moa/moa as most everyone I know knows it. Im actually liking it alot, I didnt know what I had because the manual doesnt show it I thought I had a Np-R* something but I found it on my strelok app the F2 just means its second focal plane I guess because the F1 versions says Front.

292322_3727060544483_1272529771_n.jpg

My .45 XD

309248_3734385447601_898490797_n.jpg

418576_3782511290717_1668119835_n.jpg

Really looking forward to doing some more shooting before winter hits, took her out to 200 this past saturday and hit the 6" gong first hit with some crap russian steel cased I had to warm it up the second hit the gong broke off the chain and was hanging behind the 4x4 so I continued to shoot what was exposed til it spun sideways and just hand the side showin but it was fun.

Edit: Also wanted to add Im looking to upgrade my spring guide to a Sadlak, its so rough on the charging handle the stock one binds way way to much, most likely Ill get the combo spring guide and piston, I was interested in a JAE stock but I cant see waiting for one, and the stock look is growing on me, although ergonomics with my small hands is kinda meh, a Vltor doesnt look to bad and the pistol grip seems like a plus.

Take it easy!

Re: Hello - My SA M1A

Very nice rifle. I love my M1As. Shim the gas system and don't shoot anything over 175g in it.

L

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Layton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice rifle. I love my M1As. Shim the gas system and don't shoot anything over 175g in it.

L </div></div>

thx, ya 168s - 175s factory is what im gonna stick with maybe dabble in some loading next year perhaps. is shimming common, as far as me looking it up or into it? Im not grasping it atm, Ill have to look into tomorrow

Very common. Will help on consistency. I'll PM you some links.

L

First, you don't shot heavy factory bullets in a M1A, besides being heavy the powder they use is too slow. Gonna beat the crap out of your gas system.

If the stock is bedded properly, 10=20 rounds will seat it. Leave the action in the stock after that.

Any you never use steel case ammo or steel bullets in a match grade M1A. NEVER.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Last sunday in a light breeze I got a 1" group after sighting in and then a .695" group, it seems the first shots always right on or close then the following shots go high and drift to the right</div></div>

Havent seen you shoot, gonna assume you can. This means you have a bedding problem, maybe even a gas system problem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also wanted to add Im looking to upgrade my spring guide to a Sadlak, its so rough on the charging handle the stock one binds way way to much, most likely Ill get the combo spring guide and piston,</div></div>

Yeap looks like a bedding problem, what's wrong with the SA spring and normal NM guide??

If you're changing handle binds, its more then the spring and sping guide, its improper stock fit.

Nothing wrong with a wood stock, that's the only type I'd put on a M1A, but its got to fit, and if you're looking for a Match Rifle its got to be bedded and bedded right. Before its bedded the stock has to be impregnated with a sealer to keep moisture out.

I got my M1A in '77. In 79 or so it was converted to a Super Match buy the NG, none other then Gene Barnett, Barnett barrels and at the time armor for the NG all guard time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">is shimming common,</div></div> If it is it shouldn't be. The gas system should be brazed to the barreled action making it one piece. The upper hand guard need to be glued to the top of the gas system and the lower should be free floated. When you squeese the forearm and barrel, you get a gap, you fill that gap with grease so the gas system rest on the grease not the stock.

Not trying to be critical but some things need to be done and not dune (factory 308s or steel case ammo).

I use irons on my M1A. The only real experience I have with scopes on M21s. The scope has to go on and off without changing their zeros like the way the ART's I used did.

M1A%20_1_.jpg

Good info here, im glad to find it as I just picked up my first sa m1a a couple days ago and had never heard about most of this.

Thx for the reply Kraig, when I shot the 180g stuff it was all I could get ahold of the sunday and was eager to shoot, I dont plan on using it anymore nor my steel cased. It doesnt feed very well.