• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Helmat and Comms advise

Triton225

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2019
Well, I think I'm gonna go in a Ham wt direction for communication, and I'd like to have a bump helmet with ear pro and comms working through it.
Question is where is a knowledgeable source for asking some questions that also sells what I may be looking for? Any advice you want to give is welcome as well.
I want to keep things less expensive, and I understand the ear pro may very likely be the most expensive part of this.
So far I see alot of comtac III info, but seems like those are not available now. Whatever I end up with id like it compatible with the radio and accessories.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
Pastor Comtac is the way to go. The major issues relate to the microphone impedance and the PTT connectors and wiring. I settled on NATO standard wiring, my radios use Kenwood two pin K1 connectors and dynamic microphones.

Another aspect of this. For local comms, hunting,training etc with a group. Is ham the way to go for that too? Or would one of the other radio formats be better? Ex. Murs/gmrs

FMRS is pretty good, ham require much more work, though more potential utility. Depends on how deep in the weeds you you want to get.

For many years, I've been using the Impact Sport ear-pro, that has the speaker-jack. Thing is, it can't be used with any kind of helmet/dome-dent preventer. I too am interested to see what comes up here.

Upgrading what we've got here to 'behind the head' muffs is kinda costly. But definitely may be the way to go. I'm still learning.

Plenty of comm headsets to choose from, but they are mostly expensive MIL/LE/AV systems. Peltor, Sordin, OpsCore are all very nice, just not cheap. For practical purposes, you can run a simple earpiece under whatever headset you have and the lapel mic and, boom, comms. Or you can get fancy with a bone conduction headset, vest mounted PTT with sniper finger tip switch and a DMR encrypted radio equipped with a VMAS dumping APRS packets to your vest mounted Android tablet running CIV-ATAK and be the equal of all your SEAL team buddies.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep...

Reactions: Daburkster