• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Helmet pad kits for NV? (Edit: Also considering a new helmet)

Hollywood 6mm

Old Salt
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2013
Flori-duh.
I'm about to add some helmet mounted NV to my collection (PVS-14), and I need to get a helmet up and running. I already have a Pro-Tech A-Bravo bump helmet that's already drilled for a shroud and mount, but the pads that came with it are too thick and uncomfortable for my oversized noggin. I'm not really interested in a new helmet at this point (I'll do a new one if I absolutely have to), and I'd much rather get a GOOD pad/liner setup for that Pro-Tech.

Do you guys have any suggestions? Anything in particular I should be looking for in terms of a kit?

Edit: A new, reasonably-priced (sub-$300 including shroud) helmet is also on the table. See replies below.

Last edited:
Look for one that is from a good manufacturer. Cheap = pain

If all else fails, buy a pro tech bike helmet and mount your NOD mount on it with screws and glue. That is what we did for water ops.

Look for one that is from a good manufacturer. Cheap = pain

If all else fails, buy a pro tech bike helmet and mount your NOD mount on it with screws and glue. That is what we did for water ops.

My existing A-Bravo is already drilled for a mount, but the pads are the problem.

Looking at this more, it seems that by the time I buy an upgraded pad kit, a shroud to actually mount the PVS, and a couple other upgrades I'm damn near at the price of a new helmet.

So, if I say screw it and buy a helmet, any suggestions? I don't need armor or anything, just a helmet that's going to be comfortable with a 14 and a counterweight or battery pack and possibly an IR illuminator.

I was able to swing by the local cool-guy store yesterday and play with a few options - Revision and Team Wendy helmets (they didn't have an OpsCore in my size), and the Crye Nightcap - given the cost of pads, a better (adjustable) suspension system for my old PT helmet, and a shroud, I'm at the price of a TW bump helmet, and that's without adding in the price of ARC or TW side rails for the helmets. So it looks like a TW bump helmet is going to be the winner here.

Just so you know, TW is politically anti gun. That is why I went for ops core. The TW suspension is barely better, but the padding is different from the opscore. The opscore with 4d pads is amazing.

Since we're talking TW here can I ask what is probably a dumb question. I have a TW...got it before they turned traitor. Anywho, I need to order a Surface ANVIS Mount (SAM). What is the correct "helmet style"? Is it ACH/MICH or AFSOC (Ops Core/Crye) or Ops Core FAST / Crye Airframe? I feel kinda dumb asking but if an accessory doesn't specifically say TW I'm not sure the equivalent "helmet style".

Also, I assume 4D pads work in the TW as well? Can't see how they wouldn't as they're just velcro in pads. Does it work well?

Regards,

G.
Seeker

Since we're talking TW here can I ask what is probably a dumb question. I have a TW...got it before they turned traitor. Anywho, I need to order a Surface ANVIS Mount (SAM). What is the correct "helmet style"? Is it ACH/MICH or AFSOC (Ops Core/Crye) or Ops Core FAST / Crye Airframe? I feel kinda dumb asking but if an accessory doesn't specifically say TW I'm not sure the equivalent "helmet style".

Also, I assume 4D pads work in the TW as well? Can't see how they wouldn't as they're just velcro in pads. Does it work well?

Regards,

G.
Seeker

I have a AI SAM (got used) and I’m almost 99.999% positive it’s the Ops Core / Crye.
ETA: Fast / Airframe

IIRC the difference is this one is meant for universal shrouds. I’ve used it on both a Basejump and LTP and it works perfect.

4D pads work great on the TW. Get the ACH/MICH deluxe.

Looking at this more, it seems that by the time I buy an upgraded pad kit, a shroud to actually mount the PVS, and a couple other upgrades I'm damn near at the price of a new helmet.

So, if I say screw it and buy a helmet, any suggestions? I don't need armor or anything, just a helmet that's going to be comfortable with a 14 and a counterweight or battery pack and possibly an IR illuminator.
Take a look at Revision and MTEK as well. I just ordered both of their carbon bump helmets to try out. TW and their openness about Hillary can eat a big one but they do make a nice setup. I've been using Ops Core ballistic helmets for a long time and love them, but one thing to note on their bump helmet is the shroud is molded into the helmet, it is not the shroud they use on their ballistic or carbon helmets, or a Wilcox like the other companies mentioned. In terms of pads, the 4d can't be beat. I have a mixture of them and the Ops Core ones in my lux liner.

Take a look at Revision and MTEK as well. I just ordered both of their carbon bump helmets to try out. TW and their openness about Hillary can eat a big one but they do make a nice setup. I've been using Ops Core ballistic helmets for a long time and love them, but one thing to note on their bump helmet is the shroud is molded into the helmet, it is not the shroud they use on their ballistic or carbon helmets, or a Wilcox like the other companies mentioned. In terms of pads, the 4d can't be beat. I have a mixture of them and the Ops Core ones in my lux liner.

You got the Caiman? That helmet looks pretty badass. Do OC accessories work with the rails?

You got the Caiman? That helmet looks pretty badass. Do OC accessories work with the rails?
It's still in the mail but should have it in the next few weeks. And yes it accepts OC accessories since they went with the ARC standard whereas MTEK and TW have gone the MLOK route.

I looked at the revision, but I can't see how a 50% price increase gains me anything I care about. The point about the shroud on the OC was one of the things that pushed me to TW

I looked at the revision, but I can't see how a 50% price increase gains me anything I care about. The point about the shroud on the OC was one of the things that pushed me to TW
Can't argue with you there. I'm sure you'll be happy with the TW. I will say the 4D pads are a worthwhile upgrade for every helmet.

Did you have the opportunity to use the Caiman and MTEK? Maybe compare them to the TW? It's time for a new bump helmet and I'm tabulating reasons to not buy a TW.

Last edited:
Did you have the opportunity to use the Caiman and MTEK? Maybe compare them to the TW? It's time for a new bump helmet and I'm tabulating reasons to not buy a TW.
Still waiting on the delivery of both. Was supposed to have the Caiman within the next week but got an email the other day it wouldn't be till the end of November now due to a manufacturing delay. The MTEK will be around the same time as well. The lead times are certainly a downfall with most of these manufacturers.