• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Helmets and electronic ear pro?

mcmillanman5

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2007
Blackfoot, ID
So I am wondering what you guys are doing with your electronic ear pro and helmets. There does not seem to be too much information that i could find on here so figured i would ask as it interests me to see some different setups. This seems like a good section to post this question in as most here are using helmets with NVG's.

I have an ops core base jump and over the head msa sordins, they fit fairly comfortably when they are "laced" into the helmet through the suspension. If I wear the muffs and then try and place the helmet on over the top they won't really work with the ops core suspension. I think I would prefer if I could remove my helmet independently from the ear pro but don't really see how with what I have. This is my second ops core helmet as I ended up getting a bigger size to accommodate the muffs. I was getting really bad headaches when using my smaller helmet as there was just not enough room to fit them underneath the shell.

I have seen that peltor makes a rail mount for their earpro and have also seen some neckband model earpro. Any experience with these? Also for those of you with team Wendy or Crye helmets, how are you running earpro?

Here are a few pics of mine using a cereal bowl to mimic a head!

Also one of the Peltor rail adapter from google:

The Peltor rail mounts are the ticket. I've run my Peltors as you are doing now and currently use the rail mounts. If you have Peltors already, you don't need to spend 600+ bucks to get a new rail mounted set. You can buy the rail mounts and retro fit them to your Peltors for about $40 bucks. However, you are using Sordins and the way they mount to the ear cups does not allow for using the retro fit kit.

Since it doesn't look like you're running comms, I'd suggest you pick up a set of Peltors without comms, I think they are the 6 S( $52.00) model or the COMTAC IIs without comms ($300+) and the retro fit kit and your problem is solved. The link for the retro fit kit is here: Peltor Arc Left Right Side Attachments 3M

The behind the head model is ok if you're not wearing a helmet as the wire behind you head gets in the way with the helmet harness depending on how you have it adjusted. I just couldn't find a way that felt comfortable to me and the mesh net that goes over the top of your head tends to shift.

The rail mount method is just a better way to go as you can pop them up and out and rotate them out of the way when you don't need them and then simply rotate them down andclick them back down when you want to use them.

P03, thanks for the detailed reply. I really like my sordins but may have to give the peltors a try. One of my buddies has a set, not sure on the model though. I will have to research them a bit. Thanks again for the info!

Just found this info. Apparently someone has addressed the rail issue with Sordins and developed a retro fit kit. It's a bit of tinkering but it allows you to use Sordins. Check out the video for a step by step install demo.

Iron Forged Concepts SARA - for your helmet and ear pro

P03, you are the man!!! Thanks for posting the link to this, I was getting ready to pull the trigger on some peltors but will be getting some of these instead. Seriously thanks again!

Glad to help you out. I watched the video, it s a bit of work to go through but it's worth it IMO to have rail mounted ear pro if you plan on running your helmet for any length of time.

This might be a little late, but the Peltor Tac 6S does work with the Peltor ARC rail adapters. I have that setup on my ACH 2001. At less than $60, this is a reasonably economic solution.