• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help!! 338 Lapua Muzzle brake . CADEX MX2, MX1, APA FB or Insite Heathen ?

Tremor3

Private
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2019
Canada - Quebec
Hi,
My 338 lapua imp. build is almost complete.
I will need a 3/4X24 muzzle brake.

Thinking of the Cadex MX1 or MX2, Insite Arms Heathen and APA Fat Bastard.
Which is more efficient from your experience? Big difference between MX2 vs MX1?

Thanks for your help!

I have an APA Fat Bastard on one of my 338 Lapuas and it works great. Muzzle blast is significant but the recoil is minimal. I still prefer shooting it with a can though.

I have an APA Fat Bastard on one of my 338 Lapuas and it works great. Muzzle blast is significant but the recoil is minimal. I still prefer shooting it with a can though.

Good, seems to live up to the reputation.
By any chance, do you have an idea how deep is the thread of your MB? My barrel thread is 0.695 long, I guess I will needto shim it a bit.

Good, seems to live up to the reputation.
By any chance, do you have an idea how deep is the thread of your MB? My barrel thread is 0.695 long, I guess I will needto shim it a bit.
No idea, GA Precision installed it. If I get a chance I'll measure it for you.

Reactions: Tremor3
Another vote for the APA FB, low recoil and I don't think the blast is that bad, people shooting next to me at the range don't have a problem with it.

Not on your list but I have a Badger Ordnance Thruster Compensator on my 338 and it really tames the recoil even the big 300 grain slugs.

306-30_2[1].png

Blended right into the barrel profile you can't even tell it's not part of the blank.

both shooting in the 338 ? heathen are quick and easy to get here in Canada
In smaller calibers.

Most of my experience with 338 is with a older surefire brake and I’m quite confident the extra ports and modern design will provide a noticeable reduction

Last edited:
Thank you all for your advices. I found this old thread on the subject which seems to confirm...

Fat bastard not the nicest with thar pointy nose but very effective.
So I'll deal with a pointy nose and get longer on target.

Cheers!!!

I’m loving the Sidewinder on the .338LM AXMC. I feel like I could shoot it all day. Same brake on the TRG-42 but I definitely notice the recoil on that rifle.