• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help: 338 Norma total cartridge weight

prwillard2

Major
Supporter
Banned !
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2018
So Cal
Brothers.

Currently deployed to the middle east and need some help. What is the TOTAL weight of 1x338 Norma cartridge? Like just the weight of the total round. Powder charge, bullet grain weight, etc doesn't matter.

Even bigger kudos if you can get me the weight in grams.

Thanks!

I have to ask...why?

ehy not ask for the weight of a full mag etc

So, the bullet weight and powder charge really do matter to the overall weight of the cartridge. I was unable to find an empty case weight for the 338 Norma, however, was able to find a weight for the 338 lapua at 330 grains (Lapua brass). The Lapua is longer, but they are both based on the same parent cartridge, and most of the weight is in the case head.

Let’s say 315 grains for the case. And, let’s figure a 300 grain bullet. Norma says you can jam 88 grains of Norma 217 into the case. That sums to 703 grains, or 1/10 lb, or 45.5 grams.

Norma also says that you can put 95 grains of Norma mrp behind a 200 grain bullet. That sums to 610 grains, 0.087 lbs, or 39.5 grams.

Not having an actual value for the case, I am none the less comfortable saying that a loaded 338 Norma cartridge will weight between 39 and 46 grams...

The country I work with thinks it's smarter to get the weight of 1 round and then multiply it by the number of rounds they're carrying to determine weight. Don't ask me why. We tried to tell them that wasn't smart. We just have them the weight of a 338 Lapua round.

Reactions: brianf
45.19 grams, 300gr Sierra match king

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    393.1 KB · Views: 35
  • Love
Reactions: prwillard2