• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help .45-70 reloading

TraumaControl

Private
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2018
I am shooting a Marlin 1895 SBL in .45-70. I just started reloading some of my rounds and started with 325 gr Hornady FTX bullets using H335 starting load 61 grains. Shot them and got the reloading bug. So I went out and bought 300 Gr Jacketed bullets (the only ones the store had left as they were out of the 325gr) as well as h4198 powder. I popped open the reloading manual and wanted a bit more "heat" so loaded a few grains (61) under what I thought was the max (63) for 300 grain bullet. I havent shot them yet but after looking at the manual I realized I flipped to the 45-70 modern rifle design, with a disclaimer under that title "only for modern bolt action or ruger single shot arms". I flip back 2 pages and see the 45-70 for lever gun chart and see the max load for h4198 300gr bullet is 60 grains. I loaded 50 rounds with the above powder. Should i just scrap these and not risk shooting them? I am very hesitant to try and may just chalk this up as a learning opportunity. Any suggestions?

Yup, pull'em and start again (just had to do that myself with 30 rounds of 30-30, you'll feel better after). Not worth the risk, or prematurely wearing out a perfectly good Marlin.

For fun, you should load some 300 gr. cast bullets at around 1,100 fps for some all afternoon fun! It's like shooting a big .38, or a small mortar round (has the trajectory of a mortar shell too!).

Last edited:
Would be very careful with Hodgen's data for 45-70 and H4198. Out of a 18 in guide gun 48.0 gns h4198 under 300 gn jhp gave 1880 fps and excellent accuracy. That was with win brass. Most 300 gn jhp's may not be designed for high velocity.

Much more velocity than that and my marlin lever uncocked and the brass got sticky. Would advise you start considerably lower than 60 gns, and just load a couple to see what happens.

H4198 is very good powder for the 45-70 jacketed.

Trauma....some advise from an old timer, it is best to start low and work up because not all guns perform the same. I never start near max on any new cartridge, I usually start at the starting charge and work up in .4th's or 1/2 grain increments til i find something that shoots good and doesn't tear up brass or equipment. But in your case, I would definitely pull the bullets and start over. Be safe.

Thanks for replies. I pulled all the bullets and made sets of 5 bullets starting at 55gr ( per the Lee reloading manual) and working up at 1/2 grain increments. I have a feeling I will not even get to the 60 gr loads based on A LOT of reports of the 300gr JHPs breaking up at higher velocity and not being as accurate.