• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photos Help.....8mm Mauser questions

fuzzyjoe

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 4, 2010
Georgia
www.navsoc.navy.mil
[image]http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr234/fuzzyjoe012304_photos/DSC00552-1.jpg[image/]

My Dad gave me this rifle for xmas... I took it to a dealer here in town who deals with older style rifles and all he could tell me is that it is a highly modified mauser. The safety isnt like my other k98 this only goes up one notch for safety and down for fire and it has MARK II on the back of it. As you can see it has been painted so any serial numbers or markings have been covered up. The stock is deffinatly not like the original. I was wondering if anybody has seen one like this?

Re: Help.....8mm Mauser questions

No, unique it is, probably never see another exactly like it? It is a hobby project. An attempt to modernize and upgrade an oldie but goodie.

The safety has to be some type of modification because the original would be straight up and interfere with the scope. Most of the aftermarket bolt shrouds have a curved lever. I don't see the point, (8MM Mauser) but everybody's dream is different? That big shifter is a conversation piece all by itself! BB

I have one, unfortunately. I dicked around with a little, light stock, new bolt and all that but it's just a turd no matter how you slice it. The new stock lightened it so much that now it kicks too damn hard to even shoot. I only keep it because I have a few hundred rounds for it and when the zombies come I can trade it off for beer or a swift kick to the balls which is something far more useful than my 8mm.

The only thing wrong with the 8x57mm is the anemic commercial loadings. If you are a reloader there are plenty of options and fun to be had with this granddaddy!
What you have is a pretty common occurrence. A military Mauser 98 sporterized a bit. The safety had to be switched out when the bolt was modified otherwise the scope would have had to have used super high mounts and a good check weld would be almost impossible. It's a standard safety sold by Midway or Brownell's. After market stocks for it are pretty easy to find. I don't know which one you have, but if you don't like it you can get a new one from a number of manufacturer including B&C and (I think) HS Precision. The markings should be stamped in and removing some of the paint should reveal what they are. However there were so many K98s made that it might be hard to figure out the manufacturing details from the markings. But the barrel markings (caliber and importer) should be pretty easy to find.
The Mauser Model '98 was a move forward in firearm innovation and safety at the time and the 8x57mm (also know as 8mm Mauser, 7.9mm and 8x57JS(or IS)) is the cartridge base to a lot of others down the road. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.92_x_57mm_Mauser
-Chad

And now that I look a little closer I don't see any steps on that barrel. It MIGHT be a re-barrel or a re-contured barrel. Check the caliber. Maybe I just can't see the steps in the picture due to the painting..
-chad

The safety is a Bueler or a early PM

The barrel looks stepped to me. I think it is original. What does it look like on the inside? Get a good LED flashlight and take a look.

I posted on the other post you have for the rest of my info.

-good luck with this. Let us know if you need any more help or guidance.

The safety seems to be a Buehler style. Pachmeyer and several others made the similar styles. They work ok. The three position safeties from Gentry, Precision Metalsmithing, and others work much better, when fitted properly.
98's can be made to shoot very well, with work. They are not in league with the ultra nice actions of today, but 1/2 MOA is certainly possible with correct bedding and a good barrel.
8mm Mauser is a great cartridge, but great 8mm bullets are not as common as .30 caliber or others.
These rifles can shoot surprisingly well, when properly worked on, and in the hands of a great marksman.
That is a nice gift.
Practice....

re

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Red Elk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The safety seems to be a Buehler style. Pachmeyer and several others made the similar styles. They work ok. The three position safeties from Gentry, Precision Metalsmithing, and others work much better, when fitted properly.
98's can be made to shoot very well, with work. They are not in league with the ultra nice actions of today, but 1/2 MOA is certainly possible with correct bedding and a good barrel.
8mm Mauser is a great cartridge, but great 8mm bullets are not as common as .30 caliber or others.
These rifles can shoot surprisingly well, when properly worked on, and in the hands of a great marksman.
That is a nice gift.
Practice....

re</div></div>

+1 on the Gentry. It's just like a Winchester (my favorite safety type) Very ergonomic, quiet, and completely reliable.