• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help..9mm flattened primers

Drumie

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2005
Western New York
Ok I am having problems with my 9mm loads. First time loading for 9mm, been loaded other cals for several years now. Here is my load info.
4.8 gr. Titegroup
CCI magnum primers
65gr APX bullets
1.125 COL
.377 crimp.
I am getting flattened looking primers. I shot this same load out of 3 different guns. A Sig P320, Glock 17 and a Ruger Carbine. The primers looked the same with 5.1 gr od Titegroup. The rounds cycled fine in the Sig and Ruger. I had 2 not eject with the Glock. So I am wondering if it is low pressure causing it. I only chronograph them out of the Ruger. Right around 1800 FPS. I checked some factory loads with the same bullet and they were at 2000 FPS. Just wonder what you guys think the issue is. Here are some pics.
1st pics are from the Sig.
2nd the Glock
3rd the Ruger. The silver one in front is factory load.

Attachments

• 20180906_194544.jpg
    20180906_194544.jpg
    510.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 20180906_194601.jpg
    20180906_194601.jpg
    497.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 20180906_194612.jpg
    20180906_194612.jpg
    449.3 KB · Views: 48
It looks to me like the corners of the primers are very rounded still. I think they look fine.

Why are you using magnum primers?

I was using the magnums in my rifle reloads with great results so I just carried it over with pistols. Would they be causing the issue?

What are you loading these rounds for?

65 grain for a 9mm is light.

124-147 is usually the preferred bullet weight.

Those primers look fine to me. You ought to see what some 9mm major power factor primers look like out of some USPSA open division guns!

You don't need magnum primers to light off Titegroup.
That powder has a very fast pressure curve and you could be screwing that up with the higher energy primer.
Also, you need to take the length of your bullet into your pressure equation, not just weight.
If the bullet you are using is frangible, it will be nearly the length of a 115gr lead and copper bullet.
When we loaded the 70gr frangible bullet, the pressure curve exactly matched the 115 with 4.8grs and a standard lead free primer.
The pressure spike you might be getting could be the cause of your failure to eject.

Just some food for thought

I shoot on my own property so when I can I like to use lead free bullets. Also my sons will be shooting these and I wanted some lower recoil rounds for them to learn with.
I will try the standard primers and see what that does with it.
Mike. I will have to play around with the seating depth with these then. Thanks for that info.

Keep your seating depth normal for a 115gr bullet.
Otherwise, you will have feeding issues.
If you crimp with frangible bullets use only a taper crimp. Too much crimp will start the breakdown of the bullet and if it's too much you can break the bullet with thumb pressure.