• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help a New guy with barrel length 6mm Creed

Shootin25

Distancer
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2018
SoCal
Just looking for some insight on Barrel length for a 6mm CM build. I ordered a Bartlein in 7.5 HV contour. It’s goin on a Deviant.

Purpose will be longer range plinking and local PRS type matches.

I’m leaning towards 24-25” but wanted to make sure I’m not losing a bunch by not going 27-28”.

Edit: Also, .183 freebore sound right?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Youre not falling off a velocity cliff by shortening the barrel 1”-2” . You’ll give up essentially what any similar sized case gives up per inch, about 20fps. Not enough to worry about.

.183 is the saami freebore. Works great for many. In my opinion it’s a little long if you'll shoot 105’s and lighter always. It’ll gobble up anything though, and do well.

Reactions: Shootin25
24" should be fine. That's the barrel length I would go with if I was getting a 6mm creedmoor.

I'm actually getting a 6br variant barrel spun up, it will be 28" in a HV contour. I'm doing it to get the extra velocity out of a 6br, which you don't have to worry about with the creedmoor. I just hope that the 28" HV isn't too unwieldy. I'm hoping the extra length and weight will let me get away with using no brake, which will offset the length.

24" should be fine. That's the barrel length I would go with if I was getting a 6mm creedmoor.

I'm actually getting a 6br variant barrel spun up, it will be 28" in a HV contour. I'm doing it to get the extra velocity out of a 6br, which you don't have to worry about with the creedmoor. I just hope that the 28" HV isn't too unwieldy. I'm hoping the extra length and weight will let me get away with using no brake, which will offset the length.
And you went with HV? So would that be in the 7lb weight neighborhood?

I ordered mine at 31” OAL and it measures .90 at 28”. According to Bartlein it’s 7.40lbs which seems heavy, but then again, I have no clue!

I ordered mine at 31” OAL and it measures .90 at 28”. According to Bartlein it’s 7.40lbs which seems heavy, but then again, I have no clue!

Yep, that’s heavy!

Yup! It's going to be really heavy. Maybe too heavy. Weight only helps you in this game, but I may have went a bit overboard here.

I'm going to see how I like it. If it's too heavy, the next barrel will be a 28" heavy Palma or m24/m40.

Last edited:
Yup! It's going to be really heavy. Maybe too heavy. Weight only helps you in this game, but I may have went a bit overboard here.

I'm going to see how I like it. If it's too heavy, the next barrel will be a 28" heavy Palma.
My intent is 24-25” with a tight flute job.

Weight for me is “ok”.
I shoot competitive clay. My Krieghoff tips the scales at 13lbs and I can swing that brick all day (8-10 rounds of skeet, or 2 rounds of sporting clays).

Last edited: