• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Help a newbie select a Nightforce reticle

matt33

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2009
Bradford/Susquehanna Co, PA
I've decided to buy a Nightforce 5.5-22x50mm NXS for my new Remington 5R .308. I just got back from my local NF dealer where I looked through the only 5.5-22 model he stocked. This particular scope had a NP-R1 which, based on my research, is the reticle I thought I'd like best. However, it looked really busy to me when I looked through the scope. I lost the elevation marks easily when looking through a wooded area. I had no similar issue with a comparable Leupold Mk4 with a mil-dot reticle. A Nightforce with a mil-dot seems like the obvious choice, but if I understand correctly, just 1 mil equals approx 36" at 1,000 yards. It seems like the MD may be a bit too course for my use, but I'm brand new to long range shooting. Basically, I'm looking for a reticle the will be easy for me to pick up and allow for accurate hold-over at ranges out to 800 yards and perhaps beyond. The MLR intrigues me, but I'd like to hear your input.

I plan to shoot 155 gr Lapua Scenar’s if that makes a difference. BTW, this is a great forum. Thanks for any help in advance!

Re: Help a newbie select a Nightforce reticle

It's decision time. You first need to decide whether you will go with Mils or MOA's.

You need to decide whether you plan to actually use the reticle for range finding, holdovers, etc. I tried a few times to learn to mil things, but could never get it. The NP-R1's formula is simple for me and it makes sense. I like it and it works for me.

Read here, lots of good information:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=378812

Shawn

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: srv656s</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's decision time. You first need to decide whether you will go with Mils or MOA's.

You need to decide whether you plan to actually use the reticle for range finding, holdovers, etc. I tried a few times to learn to mil things, but could never get it. The NP-R1's formula is simple for me and it makes sense. I like it and it works for me.

Read here, lots of good information:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=378812

Shawn </div></div>

What he said.

If the NP-R1 is too busy for you look at the NP-R2, it has larger graduations for an even less clutter and you can still use your MOA formula.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matt33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... A Nightforce with a mil-dot seems like the obvious choice, but if I understand correctly, just 1 mil equals approx 36" at 1,000 yards. It seems like the MD may be a bit too course for my use....

I plan to shoot 155 gr Lapua Scenar’s if that makes a difference. </div></div>

I'm kinda new to long-range shooting and this Board as well, so take it for what it's worth:

The 155 Lapua Scenar is going to drop some 196 inches (give or take on your specifics) from a 600 yard zero. So your holdover would be 5.4 mils. And if you prefer a 100 yard zero, that's a 337 inch drop or 9.4 mils. Either way holding over at that range with a MD or MLR reticle isn't the way. You'll have to dial the dope.

That said, the NF MD reticle can be very precise in measuring - the inside dot is 1/32 mil, the circle is 1/4 mil, half of the circle is 1/8 mil and the circle thickness is 1/16 mil.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: micheal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
If the NP-R1 is too busy for you look at the NP-R2, it has larger graduations for an even less clutter and you can still use your MOA formula. </div></div>

The R2 is a great reticle, but the 5MOA windage hashes are utterly useless.

IMO, if your runnin MOA knobs go R1, if MRAD knobs MLR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: micheal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
If the NP-R1 is too busy for you look at the NP-R2, it has larger graduations for an even less clutter and you can still use your MOA formula. </div></div>

The R2 is a great reticle, but the 5MOA windage hashes are utterly useless.

IMO, if your runnin MOA knobs go R1, if MRAD knobs MLR. </div></div>

What he said
grin.gif

The NXS I have just ordered will be MIL Turrets and MLR reticle I have an NPR1 on a 12-42 and I like it and I still understand MOA a tad better but MIL is gaining, I will be changing to all MIL as my ELR rifle has a PM11 Mil/Mil on top and I want all my smaller rifles to match that, to that end when my current safe shuffle is finished the 12-42 will be going and will be rpelaced by another Mil reticle and Mil turret scope.. I think MIL makes more sense..............so MLR would be my choice with MIL turrets.

I have a R2 in 5.5-22x56 and have to agree that with 7mmRM that the 5 moa windage marks are hard to use. They are just to coarse. I really like the scope other than that. The R1 would be much better for hold overs as well. You'll get used to the reticle the first time you use it and it wont seem so busy. For the price you can go wrong.

Do yourself a favor, get MLR and MilRad turrets, this is coming from a NPR1 user who is gonna send his scope in for a conversion, in the world of angular measurements, MILs kicks MOAs ass flat out.

Oh and welcome to the Hide, now fill out your profile!

Get the Mil Dot reticule with Mill turrets. The Nighforce Mil Dot reticule has the dots as circles and you can see through them. A very nice reticule