• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help a Newby?!

earthquake

Area Man
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 30, 2009
    USA
    O.K., so I've found the rigt place in this website...a HUGE wealth of info here. I've been reading the forums and they're a bit overwhelming to say the least. I'm just wanting to get started with reloading and understanding it all.

Soo, if anyone can direct me to a good book(?) on ballistics and how to get what I want out of the different loads, i.e.- bullet weight, powder (weight and what kind), primers, etc., that would be great.

I'm shooting .308 out of an IBA rifle which is built on the Rem. 700P base. I guess I might not even be asking the right question, because I'm still unsure, but a start is a move in the right direction.

Currently my pops reloads all my ammo, since he's been doing it for years, but he doesn't do much high-power rifle. Here's what he made for me:

Cartridge: .308
    Case: Lake City Match
    Primer: Win. WLR
    Powder: Win.748 @ 43gr.
    Bullet: 168gr. BTHP Match
    O.A.L.: 2.800in.
    2,500fps

Thoughts? I haven't been able to find a long target range, other than shooting soda bottles out to 800yds. with it so far, so I don't have any grouping info yet. I've got 250 more rounds of this stuff to test as soon as I find a place here in CO.

Thanks for all/any advice!

Re: Help a Newby?!

First things first, get yourself the Bible of reloading here.

Read it until you understand it. What other help do you need. Are you asking about load development techniques or an outline of "how to" reloading?

If your just looking for load data, look here.

Thanks, that's a start. I was reading the thread about shooting out to 1,000yds with a .308 by that SAS guy from Italy and reading all the replies about powder weights, bullet weights, powder and bullet brands and all the other stuff got me thinking. Need to do some research and just hang out here for a while.

Just learning about how much powder and bullet weights to get distance, combos etc. to maximize accuracy and distance I suppose is what I want to do. So, I guess I"m asking mostly about load development techniques, since I'll be able to have my ammo reloaded by someone I trust and has years of experience doing it...though he's in Ohio and I"m in CO.

168 grains at 2500 fps is a bit slow. Can you get there to 800 yards? The answer is yes. How accurate will you be? that's another question. I would suggest that you give it a bit more oomph. Good luck

COfox .....

Your dad's load looks very good, but you'll do better at 600 yards and beyond with the 175 gr SMK bullets. Sierra also makes a <span style="font-weight: bold">NEW</span> 155 grain bullet that is much better than the old 168 SMK. Our website has a reloading tech tips section that will help any shooter.

- Innovative

Thanks guys! So, more powder? What I've read is that I should proceed with small increments...correct? 175gr. SMK 'eh? I'll look into it. Reason I went with 168gr. was that my scope has the BDC for the 168gr. bullet.

Well maybe you will need to go use the 175 and some slower burning powder. Have to remember if that load works good in your gun you will have to try for the next node thats 175-200 FPS faster then the one your shooting at now.