• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help/Advise Needed - Setting Up New Accuracy International AXMC To Shooter

Monk Medic

Rifleman. Soli Deo gloria.
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2018
Maine
Hey guys, really looking for some feedback and help here.

So I have a new AI AXMC in .338 Lapua, picked it up in March, while the snow was still on the ground here, so had limited time to shoot it prone.
Did get behind the gun in the house multiple times, to verify and set up optic and LOP, and did some bench rest stuff (all my local rifle club allows) but my first real time shooting prone was last weekend. I was disappointed with my comfort level on the gun. I've set up a number of bolt guns before, mix of fixed stock and chassis and usually am good to go, but this one has me stumped.

Details
AI AXMC
Nightforce 7-35 F1 ATACR optic
Sphur 4002 1.5" mount

I just could not get a fittment that was natural, felt comfortable, allowed me consistent eye box on the optic, that did not have some shadow around it. I moved the mounts on the pic rail back one notch, a little better, but still did not have the perfect view I'm used to, the eye box felt very, very small, high mag, I get it, but it almost unusable.

I usually test these on the highest mag setting, so it was on 35, but even on lower setting, I found myself "fidgeting" on the rifle, making myself move to see, rather than naturally having the scope just be there.

Prone position photo attached for reference, ignore sunglasses.

Questions:

1) Is there a sequence in setting up the stock?
Thinking there may be too many adjustments, this is the order I adjusted the chassis to fit me.
Length of pull, moved stock pad to the 3 detent from the front, kept the adjustable buttock pad neural, straight up and down.
Then adjusted the comb until the cheek weld felt good, moved it to the right, and the optic was centered in my eye.
Moved the optic in the pic rail until the eye box was best. But the eye box seems very touchy, and not at all perfect.

2) Anybody running this set up that would kindly share a photo of your settings for the chassis and the mount on the rail? I know that the rifle has to be adjusted to fit the shooter, get that, but wonder if I'm just walked on something. I'm about 5'11" and about 285 lbs, for reference.

3) Other thoughts, and ideas?

Thanks!
IMG_1883.jpg

Just some thoughts. May not be right.
1 I assume you have set up and still have a rifle fits you good. If so, why not line up both side by side and adjust the ai ax mc to be same as the other rifle.
2 yes, I almost agree the ax mx has too many adjustment. But it is just so nice to be able to adjust the rifle to your exact liking.
3 sorry to ask, are you sure the scope is mounted on the right spot?
I believe you should be able to adjust an ai ax mc to fit any adult shooter.

Reactions: Monk Medic
You might try raising the whole rifle off the ground more. In other words lengthen the bipod legs and adjust the rear bag as needed.
That is exactly my thought. It seems like you are twisting your neck to get down you the rifle. If the bipod you have on won't accommodate much adjustment take three 2x4's with you next time you shoot and see if you are noticeably more comfortable at any combination of height.

31248853_6092959575250_830961388775014400_n.jpg

See how high this guy has the rifle. If you are bigger than him you need to have it higher.

Last edited:
I think you gents are into something here.
Got back on my SSG-3000, like a glove.
Got onto the AI, realized I was looking angled through the glass. Moved the Harris bipod up to 6 notches, much better. I’m running the Harris BRM-S 6-9” but it just maybe too low. I’m going to take the outside tomorrow and will report back. ?

The AX with the tubular forend lets you mount the bipod pretty close to the bore axis of the barrel. That means your bipod will likely have to be adjusted out longer than you’re used to on a traditional stock rifle in order to get the same height of the butt stock in your shoulder.

Reactions: leftyk82
from the pic shtrrdy is on to it.
from the pic you look like a bigger guy.
the rifle is "below you" even the butt pad loos like its low on the shoulder.
bring the whole thing up a few inches.
also i may get flagged for this but not everybody can be directly behind the rifle. ive found that thinner guys have no trouble staying strait behind but if you hit they gym and have a bigger neck and shoulders, strait behind just doesnt work well at times

try this for a natural point of aim test.
get the rifle set up and on target, close you eyes and count to 30.
if you open you eyes and you are not in the exact same spot you are fighting in your position.

Here's the fix, finished it up tonight at the range, then confirmed at driveway of my home, just before the rain washed everything away.
1) Brought the rifle up on the bipod, head not craned down, wow what a difference.

2) Got on the gun, closed my eyes as BrianF suggested, opened, played with LOP and comb until the rifle was comfortable to me, now very much so, could fall asleep on it. LOP is set all the way in, feels good and I can pull the rifle right into my body for recoil control and stability. NOPA rules.

3) Moved scope forward, two rail slots. Wow, field of view opened up, set it up on max mag to confirm, tried forward and back, it is in the ideal spot.

4) Marked all the settings with Sharpie, just in case I need to tweak/adjust, but pretty sure when I hit the range again this weekend, it will be like night and day.

Many, many thanks to those who took the time to enthusiastically answer my questions, and point me in the right direction.
The adjustment abilities of the AI stock are amazing, but unlike my SIG SSG chassis, take some time to really understand and set up.

Now that you have that sorted its time to order other calibers. I was fortunate to get he original PSR and really glad I did. I trade back and forth between the .338LM and the 300WM very often as the zero's are very close. Its nice have a 1 minute barrel change.

Good shooting!! Do you reload if so what bullet are you shooting??
When you shoot out the stock barrel give Dave Tooley a call. My AI barrels all shot good but the Tooley barrels are better. The PSR came with Tooley barrels as he was making all the AI barrel until about the end of 2015 . I have 7 of his barrels and all shot 1/2 moa or better

Good shooting!! Do you reload if so what bullet are you shooting??
When you shoot out the stock barrel give Dave Tooley a call. My AI barrels all shot good but the Tooley barrels are better. The PSR came with Tooley barrels as he was making all the AI barrel until about the end of 2015 . I have 7 of his barrels and all shot 1/2 moa or better

Hi @GIXXER2000

I don’t reload, yet, saving my brass.
More a matter of time than anything else, I manage a business and work a second job in emergency medicine.
I’m intrigued by the concept, but right now the factory Lapua Scenar ammo is what I use, 300 gr bullet was used in that one.

Thanks for the tip on the barrels!

You should also try the 285 eld-m they shoot very good also. Reloading will save you a lot when your ready. I just started loading the Cutting Edge 277's and they shoot great. My best group was.262 when I was zeroing my scope.