• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

help barrel will not clean

1shot2kill

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2008
north dakota
a co-worker of mine recently purchased a tikka t3 lite in 223 rem he did a initial cleaning and took it to the range to do a barrel break in after the barrel had a full break in he fired 30 shots and then started to clean it so he could pack up and go home for the day but patch after patch came out dirty and continued this way i sudgested replacing the bronze brush and changing the solevent he is now on the 3rd brush and 4 type of solevent and patch after patch is comes out dirty no blue so what is going on with this barrel

Re: help barrel will not clean

KG1 for carbon with the brush... and then patch out.

KG-12 with patches only, or a nylon brush.
Else soak barrel in KG 12 overnight.

What is KG 12? Only the best copper solvent on the market today.

My factory barrel did the same thing on my Remington 700. It held under moa all the time. If it shoots good I wouldn't worry about.

why is this in the reloading section????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

It is probably coming off the bronze brush,you could literally do this forever,if using a bronze brush.The bronze is giving you a false sense of a dirty barrel.

Wipe-Out.

It's the shiznit. In my opinion anyway.... I'm sure someone will chime in soon to say it's crap, it doesn't work, it works TOO well, or it doesn't work at all.... BUT I LOVE IT

http://www.sharpshootr.com/wipeout.htm
grin.gif

I cleaned an AR15 barrel one time. The gun started with about 2000 round through it with light cleaning sessions every 100-200 rounds. Light cleaning is 5 patches with Hoppes #9 interspersed with 5 dry patches.

This gun took 1-1.5 hours per day for 6 days in a row before the patches would come out clean. Several hundred passes with the bronze brush (wore 2 of them out), several hundred patches, plenty of Hoppes #9. The top crud (mainly powder residue was out on day 1. IT was the copper and carbon buildup that took so much time.

One can let time do the work, instead, by leaving Hoppes #9 in the bore (wet) while the gun is lying on its side in a rifle case while waiting its next pportunity to drill nice clean holes in a target. Hoppes #9 doe snot hurt the bore, and provides a path ofr atmospheric oxygen to attach itself to the copper residu, and disolve the carbon slowly over time.

It shot no better afterwards than before.

The only way the crud comming out of the barrel is comming from the bronze brush is if that crud turns green over a day or so (or when 'introduced' to Sweets 7.62 Copper cleaner.)

so we finally got the barrel clean with a combination of nylon and bronze brushes and we had to bring out the nasty solevent montana extreme and barnes cr10 after cleaning we took a trip to the range and after 30 rounds that i loaded up for him started to clean the barrel and it came clean really fast so after sitting down and chatting about what he had been using to reload we found that the major difference between his handloads and mine is that he was using re-15 for powder and i use varget so in a day or 2 he is going to go back out and use his own loads with the re-15 and see if that is what is causing it to be in pain to clean up the barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jwfrazier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really like JB bore compound. Maybe try this. </div></div>

+1, this stuff works wonders, just don't use it every time.

Copper solvent and any copper/bronze implements will equal a blue/green patch regardless of the presence or absence of copper fouling in the bore.

My bore cleaning rods and slotted tips are steel, period.

Bronze brushes are nearly never employed, just solvent and patches.

Fast, I use Outer's Foam; slow, I soak with regular Hoppe's #9.

Only time I employ a bronze brush is when borescope indicates a resistant carbon ring, and then, brushes are used to thoroughly distribute solvent, and no other reason. Personally, I believe bronze brushes are probably ineffective against glazed on crud. Further, I am not totally against the use of stainless brushes, but I reserve them for when there's little left to lose anyway. The only rifle that was <span style="font-style: italic">that</span> bad was a Garand with a pretty hopeless barrel anyway.

I will never, never, never, ever, ever, ever employ abrasives inside a custom honed barrel. With solvent, time is on my side, and no barrel is ever so badly needed, like right now, that I will resort to 'emergency' measures. I will cancel my participation in a match, rather than compromise my barrel with ill advised cleaning techniques.

Greg

Bronze brushes are nearly never employed, just solvent and patches.

+1

so after a shooting session late last night it seems like re-15 doesnt like his barrel just seems to bond to it really well i think that he is going to switch back to varget but where we are located re-15 is available and varget is not but i will pass on the cleaning tips to see if that make life easier for him

Barrel breakin is sometimes hotly debated, but the basic idea that a bore will 'wear in' and acquire a smoother, easier to clean interior surface texture is generally more widely accepted.

I think this is one of those instances where nature will take its course, and this issue will become less and less of a problem, if it ever really was a problem, over time.

Greg

Try finding a machine shop that will let you use their glass beading cabinet. A few blasts should make the bore nice and shiney. Good for shining up the chamber also.

Best thing I ever did for my rifle was to stop cleaning it after every range session.
Even when I put many hours into shining everything up, I only used patches and FP-10, and there was always a little carbon on the last patch.
Now I think my shooting has improved because I'm spending more hours doing that than cleaning. The targets think so too.

Just shoot the darn thing. it doesn't need to be spotless.

Shoot a few hundred rounds and clean it. If you have a good load, it will work fine clean or dirty.