• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

help!!!! BCG stuck / fixed 12-19 thanks

bbhank

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Aug 9, 2009
    so cal
    Hey Guys,

Im hoping someone here can help.

I put my complete Bolt carrier group in my bare upper receiver without the charging handle and now I cannot get it out. Any tips?

Im pretty sure i have to turn the bolt in the carrier i just dont know how to do it with out F'n it up..

Please advise.......

Thanks

Re: help!!!! BCG stuck

Well unless something is really wrong just open the upper then the dust cover and use your thumb to push it backwards, or stick your finger in the end of the bcg and pull. Unless its jammed this works.

+1 for the finger trick. You can also bend a coat hanger, hook it and pull it out ( works like a skinny charging handle)

Nut, What would be jammed? it moves back and forth about 3/8ths but stops there.

Haha---It would really be funny if I hadn't done it myself... Get a small wooden dowel or brass punch and use it tap the bolt carrier rearward from the ejection port. once the bolt unlocks it should slide right out.

fisher,

does the cam pin drive the bolt(or cause rotation) by hitting something in the receiver on the blow back?

No, the cam pin's motion is driven by the grove in the bolt carrier. When the rifle is fired, gases forces the bolt carrier and bolt in opposite directions which drives the cam pin through the groove in the carrier unlocking the bolt. What you need to do is called a bolt override, basically you manually encourage this movement by providing rearward force on the bolt carrier. If it is hung up on something you may need professional assistance, as once it is unlocked it should actually slide out fairly easily.

cleaning rod through the other end to break it free

No, when the BCG moves rearward, the bolt is held by the receiver extension. As the BCG moves rearward with the bolt and cam pin held in place, the machined slot in the BCG that the cam pin rides,acts on the cam pin and rotates the bolt until the bolt lugs clear the extension allowing the bolt to move rearward. Once you hold the assembled BCG in your hand and move the bolt back and forth, all that crap I just typed will make sense.
    grin.gif
    No part of the BCG should be hitting the receiver.

Please note a cleaning rod will probably not break it free unless the bolt is unlocked and the cam pin has moved out of the groove in the upper. Other wise you could damage your upper by forcing the cam pin into the side of the groove instead of down its natural pathway...

One thing that may be causing a problem is if he didn't have the firing pin installed in the BCG. That could allow the cam pin to work it's way out of the BCG and wedge into the recess in the upper receiver. Otherwise, pulling the BCG from the back with a bent coat hanger as others have suggested should unlock it.

Just for shits, I installed my complete BCG into my Bushmaster XM15 without the charging handle. Lo and behold...I was able to remove it just by inserting my index finger into the back of the BCG and pulling back on it. My rifle hasn't been cleaned or lubed much in the last two years so it's pretty well carboned up and dry. I also remembered that the cam pin would have to rotated 90° to clear the gas key and jam into the recess in the receiver.

Just wondering if you had the firing pin in or out. If your firing pin isn't in the BCG, the cam pin would be able to rotate and that could be what's hanging up. Just wondering out loud here...

the firing pin is in it the BCG. thanks for all the info im going work on it in the morning.... ill keep you posted.

Can you separate the upper from the lower? If not tap the muzzle on the ground. But don't ruin the crown if you don't have a flash hider on it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: send it 77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nut, What would be jammed? it moves back and forth about 3/8ths but stops there. </div></div>

Well, I was thinking along the line of the firing pin missing but you said that's not the case. Did you get it out? If not separate the upper and lower and you should be able to drive it out with a piece of wood.

You have to pull on both ends of BC to get it streched out.
    Use your finger at the back and some small wire around a bolt
    lug on the front. If you can get a third hand to help wiggle the upper and it will slide off. The Bolt key is in the half hole. Worked when i did the same thing.

Thanks guys, I guess the finger in rear trick works everytime. I got the bolt out and the put the upper together as much as I could. Im waiting on a surefire muzzle break and a trigger and My SPR will be done. Here's a pic:

ixz2tk.jpg