• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

HELP! Bolt Gun Best Sight Height/ + MOA Bases/ Ele

pcweidman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 6, 2012
Alabama
www.facebook.com
Dear SH,

I do have another thread going asking everyone what typical sight height/ring size s/m/l is best for an AICS however I figured I would drill deeper and try to learn something.

For the average mans face size, body size,...simply physical makeup in association to his rifle stock style of coarse; is the best ring height yet in turn sight height from crosshair to bore center. Second: Am I measuring sight height correctly by saying crosshair to the center bore line?

Third: Is a rifles overall elevation adjustment for positive distance negatively effected by a higher sight height? So if I am running high rings and have a 2.5 inch sight height would I be able to dial more elevation if I was running low rings?

Fourth: My vortex only has 65 MOA of adjustment so that makes roughly 32 up. So I have contacted Stiller and they are sending me a Tac300 20moa base that matches my reciever. This will then give me 52+/- of elevation correct?

Re: HELP! Bolt Gun Best Sight Height/ + MOA Bases/ Ele

for me sight height is only about two things, objective clearance and cheek weld. I try to get the scope as low as I can having around around 1/8" clearance then adjust my cheek piece from there. If your rifle doesn't have and adjustable cheek piece you can build it up with various materials...my current 700 setup, I just cut an old mouse pad and tape it on with duct tape.

As to specific ring height based on body structure, it's all personal as the gun. Some people like to sit higher on the rifle than others...me, my cheek bone rests on the stock (this drops me about an inch over higher stock mounts)

More vertical elevation by higher mounts?...I've heard NO, but in my experience you might get a couple MOA of adjustment but that's about it... Since you're getting the 20MOA base, I wouldn't worry about elevation. If you need more, get a 25 or 30 MOA base.

just my .02