• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

HELP! Bolt hard to close..

PSYOPS

Lieutenant Patrick
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
Did a search here and even asked some of the 'experts' at the range and I am still confused as to why this is happening.

My reloads are fairly tight to chamber and some are very hard to close the bolt on. I bought once fired brass and reloaded it with no problems. I am know starting to re-use those once fired cases and they are very hard to close the bolt on. My set-up is Dillon rifle dies. I've have checked each case and they look and measure almost identical. My COAL is 2.827. Nothing has changed.

I suspect my sizing die. Please help me fix this problem. Any advise is greatly appreciated.

-Mike

Re: HELP! Bolt hard to close..

Victor,
It feels and looks the same. Is my sizing die set up wrong? It is a full size sizing die.

Measured both the 'good' cases and the 'bad' case and they each measure .453

As Victor says...when you "full length resize" a case, it lengthens. If you don't resize enough to "bump" the shoulder back a .001 or .002, the extra length will interfere with chambering. What I do when FL resizing is to turn the FL die in until it contacts the shell holder, then back out about 1/2 a turn. Lube a case and size it and try it in the rifle. As you keep doing this an 1/8th of a turn at a time, the case will get harder and harder to chamber, and then get easier. If a bolt gun, keep turning in and sizing a little at a time until you just can feel it when you close the bolt. That will give you longest brass longevity with FL sizing. With a gas gun, turn it in until no discernable resistance is felt. Springs aren't as tough as you. If you decide to get the longest life on your brass, FL the first time then neck size until the resistance is objectionable, then FL size as above. Then, trim, chamfer and start all over. JMHO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As Victor says...when you "full length resize" a case, it lengthens. If you don't resize enough to "bump" the shoulder back a .001 or .002, the extra length will interfere with chambering. What I do when FL resizing is to turn the FL die in until it contacts the shell holder, then back out about 1/2 a turn. Lube a case and size it and try it in the rifle. As you keep doing this an 1/8th of a turn at a time, the case will get harder and harder to chamber, and then get easier. If a bolt gun, keep turning in and sizing a little at a time until you just can feel it when you close the bolt. That will give you longest brass longevity with FL sizing. With a gas gun, turn it in until no discernable resistance is felt. Springs aren't as tough as you. If you decide to get the longest life on your brass, FL the first time then neck size until the resistance is objectionable, then FL size as above. Then, trim, chamfer and start all over. JMHO</div></div>

Thanks! I hope that is it. I'm going to garage now to try it out. I'll let you know.

That seemed to help A LOT !! I still had a 1/2 to 3/4 turn to go. Bottomed it out and turned back about 1/4 turn. Bolt closed MUCH easier. Thanks for the advice, guys.

I love Snipers Hide!!

I had the same problem. Bump the shoulder back after each firing and you should be good to go.

I use one of these: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=880646 to do the initial setup of the sizing die for every cartridge for which they're available. It isn't a cure-all, but it <span style="font-weight: bold">will</span> allow you to size brass so that it will fit in your chamber and allow the bolt to close from the get-go. It will also notify you if your brass needs to be trimmed.

If the once-fired brass you bought was USGI and was fired through a machine gun, you may or may not need to Small Base Size it the first time around. That will require a new SB sizing die. You don't say what cartridge you're loading for, so I'm just assuming that it's .308 Win.

You can then use something like the <span style="font-weight: bold">Redding Instant Indicator</span>: http://www.sinclairintl.com/product/11245/s, or the <span style="font-weight: bold">RCBS Precision Mic</span>: http://www.sinclairintl.com/product/11239/s to fine-tune the sizing die to give you just the amount of shoulder bump that you want.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nicholst55</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use one of these: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=880646 to do the initial setup of the sizing die for every cartridge for which they're available. It isn't a cure-all, but it <span style="font-weight: bold">will</span> allow you to size brass so that it will fit in your chamber and allow the bolt to close from the get-go. It will also notify you if your brass needs to be trimmed.

If the once-fired brass you bought was USGI and was fired through a machine gun, you may or may not need to Small Base Size it the first time around. That will require a new SB sizing die. You don't say what cartridge you're loading for, so I'm just assuming that it's .308 Win.

You can then use something like the <span style="font-weight: bold">Redding Instant Indicator</span>: http://www.sinclairintl.com/product/11245/s, or the <span style="font-weight: bold">RCBS Precision Mic</span>: http://www.sinclairintl.com/product/11239/s to fine-tune the sizing die to give you just the amount of shoulder bump that you want.</div></div>

WOW!! Freakin' thanks!

I use a .308 case guage and all rds. fit with no issues. Then I try to chamber a rd. and close the bolt and it is hard as hell. I have a Dillon FS die that just isn't getting the job done.

I like those Sinclair products that you show. I might give one of those a try. Any FS length dies work the best for .308 once/twice fired brass??

Thanks for all the great help.

They all work; I'm partial to Redding and Forster dies personally. Nothing wrong with RCBS, either.

This should be a fair warning to everybody. USE A CASE GAUGE! If your ammo won't go all the way into your case gauge, it's not sized enough to fit in any gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This should be a fair warning to everybody. USE A CASE GAUGE! If your ammo won't go all the way into your case gauge, it's not sized enough to fit in any gun.</div></div>

Yeah, but I do use a case guage; all fits fine but then when I chamber it, the bolt will not completely close. I'm thoroughly freakin' confused.

I think it's a shoulder bump thing..