• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Help- broken case stuck in chamber

Rebelirons

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2017
North Bay Area
So this weekend I went shooting and after the second shot I pulled the bolt back and the case head ripped right off. I tried running a cleaning rod down with and without a patch. Tried to gently pick it out without gouging the chamber. Nothing worked. It's in there good. It's chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor. It's a Badger M2013 action. I chucked it up in the barrel vice and pulled the barrel off to get better access but no luck.

My question is do any of you out there have any ideas as how to get it out without scratching the chamber? I looked at the "broken case remover tool" from CJ tools( I think that's the name) but they don't have one for 6.5 Creedmoor. The case head broke off about 1/2" into the chamber, if that helps. I was thinking a screw extractor or a tap but again, I'm worried about the chamber. I'd appreciate any help or ideas guys. Thanks

I've heard a tight fitting bronze brush pushed inside the case can work, give it a twist and pull. Never tried it, never had to. Sure hope you get it out.

This may sound suicidal but it works. Take a tap the appropriate size and being cautious run it into the case. Attach a pair of vice grips then tap with hammer. The other way is to clean the inside of the case. Plug the case at the shoulder level and fill with epoxy and let it cure. Then knock it out with cleaning rod. Just thought of another option. This works with the barrel on. Take a large round wood rasp tape up the body leaving the end exposed. Run it into the cartridge and give it a twist to get a bite. Hold the handle with pliers and tap.

Last edited:
The last couple I've had people bring in, I have removed the barrel and soaked them in Kroil. After I take emery cloth and scuff the inside of the case pretty good and then plug it with patches and pour cerrosafe in there and stick an allen wrench in it and let cool. I was able to twist it loose and pull it out.

Casey

An Irwin EX-5 broken screw remover (Lowe's/Home Depot) will work. Since you have the barrel off, just lightly seat the screw remover into the case remnants with a soft tap of a light hammer to get it to bite into the brass. Then attach a socket wrench and twist it to pop it loose from the chamber wall. This worked for me on a .308 when all the "stuck case remover"'s didn't work. Didn't leave a single mark in the chamber...

Last edited:
First, freeze the barrel and push an oversized brush into the throat, and pull it back out. Freezing loosens the brass up, as it shrinks more than the steel barrel.

For tough ones, I've put a qtip with a big glob of epoxy into the case and let it set up. Then freeze it and knock it out with a cleaning rod. Works like a charm.

Thanks for the replies fellas. I'm gonna give the epoxy trick a try. It's actually a great idea, wish I thought of it. I'll get some picks up with the results when I get this thing out. I'll keep a tap on hand in case the epoxy don't work. Thanks again for the help

The epoxy trick worked like a charm. I plugged the neck of the case with a patch. Epoxied a 2 1/2 inch screw dead center of the case. Grabbed it with some channel locks and tapped it with a hammer and it popped right out. Best of all, no chamber damage. Thanks again guys for your help. I'll try to get picks up later