• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help building rifle for son's birthday.

SemperFiDawg

Private
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2008
Dublin, Georgia
I'm building a rifle for my 10 year old son for his birthday that's next Sat. He became interested in shooting after watching me at the local range practicing with my ARs. I ordered a Savage MkII FV today, but after doing a search here discovered some that the plastic is cheap. I'm debating on whether to call the gun dealer and change it to a BV with the walnut stock, but haven't decided because I'm pretty sure I'm gonna have to saw the stock off anyway to fit him. I plan to get some 20 MOA bases from EGW. As to the scope. I know I want a Mil/Mil setup because all of my other rifles are based on this and I'd like to keep them all the same. Also would like to include a bipod, but am unsure as to which. So if anyone has any thoughts on:
1)The Stock(Wood vs. Plastic)
2)A Mil/Mil scope
3)Bipod
4)Any other suggestions
it would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance for any replies.

Re: Help building rifle for son's birthday.

Cancel the Savage and get him a RRA mid-length CAR-15 A4 with 6-position stock.

Savage mark 2 is a nice cheap gun that will shoot, but if you plan to make the stock shorter you are going to have trouble with a plastic stock.

I recently purchased a CZ and so fare I am very impressed.

CZ does make a youth model with a smaller stock.
(Down the road you can get a full size stock for the same action.)
http://cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-452-scout/
RT has a nice scope 20moa scope rail and also a nice trigger sear that is pretty easy to install.
http://www.rimfiretechnologies.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=42
He will probably have the gun the rest of his life I say get a good one if you can afford it.

I would stay with the .22 youth model for now. He can shoot that for a considerable amount of time and get very proficiant with it. After he gets really good, then move up to an AR type rifle.
He won't be shy of the step up. My sons started with .22's and still shoot them today.

wood is nice to look at, and the thumbholes are realy purty, would hate to get it all dinged up out hunting. the plastic is lighter, but yes has the cheap effect.

scope- on the economical side, centerpoint 4-16x $70.00 at walmart, illuminated mil dots, clear for the $, target turrets.
on the more sophisticated side without going overoard, a nikon buckmaster 6-18x mildot ranges between $300 and $360.

if it has the accutrigger, great! if not, pick up a rifle basix trigger for it

harris bi pod, 6"-9" fixed if using for target, 9"-13" pivot if using for hunting.

rings - i like millet rings for that certain "look" with a nice wood stock they have nice engraved caps, and for the plastic stock there are a ton to choose from to give it a tactical look.

how about throwing in a his own set of nice lens covers, sling, and cleaning kit? can also save the extra goodies for christmas.

ammo?

Daughter has a pink stocked 40x in the works and she is 3 right now. Figure give her a scope at first and teach her the irons later on. Will run some cash off the bat, but I'm thinking that she will get alot off of it in the long run.
Chad

I took a different approach with my six-year-old. I got him a 10/22 compact and upgraded it with a Volquartsen hammer kit, a Picatinny base, and Burris FastFire. Considering my son's age, my focus is on him having fun, being successful, and not losing interest; hence that setup. As he grows, I will add more control. Of course, your son is ten, so YMMV.

Good luck.
smile.gif