• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Help! Buying advice needed re: RF and weather meter.

Dbike73

Private
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2018
I’m just getting into long range shooting and need some advice. I’m trying to decide the best and most cost effective option in regards to range finding and ballistic solutions. I’m looking at the Sig Kilo2400ABS, Kestrel 5700 elite and a range finder, or the weather flow and a range finder. I know with both the ABS and Kestrel I won’t have to worry about cell coverage. Thanks for your input.

I like the sig 2400 BDX used with the Kestrel 5700. Fast results on both the RF and Kestrel. I started with a weather flow and phone based ballistic app and would never go back. If you go with just the 2400 ABS, you will still need to access wind data and the weather flow only has a faint blue illumination, so out in the daylight it is hard to tell if it is working or not.

Reactions: Lumbeejake
Won a Bushnell Conx/Kestrel combo... liked it but both had limitations. Sold it. Just received the new Sig 3000 BDX and purchased the Kestrel 5700 Elite. Very impressed so far. The Sig 3000 is the best bang for the buck out there for RF binos... great range finder, super fast! And the real time weather driven firing solution populating directly from the Kestrel into the range finder is also fast and convenient, both for a hunting and blind stage match environment.
So if $1600 total is in your price range, call Scott at Liberty Optics for the Kilo and Fred at Bison Tactical for the Kestrel. Best prices I found.
Good luck.

Rangefinders we can debate a little.

But if the 5700 elite is in your budget, don’t even think about a weatherflow. Not even on the same planet. Again, budget allowing.

Reactions: Individual1
Inside of 1500 yards, I say go with the new 5700 Ballistic

- (has Link for phone apps/higher end range finders, upgradable to Elite, capable ballistics solutions)

and

- a range finder that can range reflective out to 1500ish.

Kilo 1400 BDX advertises Reflective up to 1600 / 750 Deer / 950 Trees.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help. I think I’m going to go with the 5700 Ballistic and the Kilo2400BDX. If the need arises I can always upgrade to the elite at a later time.

Reactions: Individual1