• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spotters Help choosing a Spotting Scope Camera, please.

Which would you choose?

• Tactacam LR $300

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Longshot Hawk $250

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • SME $150

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Long Range Steel

Long Range Steel
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2022
Haymarket
01106640-C19C-4D07-BA35-04D8B4DD525E.png
93998712-4EA3-4AEB-96DF-C298238159B3.png
467C803A-B14E-4EC7-8DFF-B7EC5C93CB1B.png
Considering a spotting scope camera to affix to Vortex Diamondback HD 20-60x85 spotting scope. Shooting between 300-1000 yards.

Anyone have experience or gone through making a choice between 2 or 3 of the below products for mid to long range?

Longshot Hawk $250
Tactacam LR $300
SME $150

Your choice? Why?

I'm glad you posted this... I have an old (pre-2014) Diamondback 20-60x80 and have tried to use a Phone Skope setup for years, and it just plain SUCKS! I didn't know folks were making these for spotters now!

Last edited:
Reactions: Long Range Steel
After reading reviews, the SME is apparently junk... I think I'll end up getting the Tactacam eventually... Kind of broke right now. LOL

If my iPad wasn't crapping out (both battery and screen) I'd probably take a hard look at that HAWK camera setup. Because when I film my YT videos, folks always ask about down-range video as well. I use my phone to film my shooting bench videos, so that's why I like the Tactacam, I can hook it to my spotting scope and I can record both separately, and then later sync the videos together in my software, for both bench and downrange footage simultaneously... Which I don't know how to do yet, but thanks to the magic of YT I can learn. But I think the HAWK camera might produce better quality video, and the fact it's downrange means the video won't be getting shaky or bumped-around from a bench with a high-magnification spotting scope sitting on it while shooting is going on. So there's pros and cons to both setups.

Yep, for scope cameras, these three seem to be just about all the choices. From research only, the Longshot scope camera does not come with a built in screen, only an App. This model is just the scope camera not the down range camera/transmitter. The other two have screens, but almost too small for use, basically helping to get on target and check magnification and focus of image.