• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help choosing custom ultra light action

mrtoyz

Armchair Commando
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2009
Western WA
My situation:
Looking for 6ish lb (sans scope) 7PRC hunting rifle in a folding chassis, likely HTN26. Big fan of the Seekins Element but would like a folding chassis. The new Seekins SLAM is not an option, cause I can’t get past the FUGLY look.

Would like recommendations for custom actions with following features:
60-70 degree bolt throw
Exceptionally smooth. At least as smooth as Tikka/Sako, Seekins Element.
Ultra light so that I can afford to put a Kahles 328 on top.
Appreciate the help!

Whats your budget? The 60-70 degree lightweight isnt a thing, probably need to drop that. Is a Ti action acceptable? The Mack bros element is cool, but not available in a long version yet. They do make an open topped Ti long Evo II though.

Hawkins makes a 3rd aluminum mag that will fit the HNT26.

Terminus Kratos lite is 60 degree, smooth, and light, but I wouldn’t consider it “ultra lite.”

🤮 face only a mother could love.
I think it looks bad ass, guess that’s why there lots of options out there. I think my question was more on the line of is the weight of it falling into that category.

I think it looks bad ass, guess that’s why there lots of options out there. I think my question was more on the line of is the weight of it falling into that category.
Its a skletonized version of a a very heavy action, so it ends up weighing the same as an average long action(30 oz)

You could just buy an Element and drop it in a HNT26. It would still cost less than a SLAM too.
I did think about that. When I talked to the Seekins guys about their action, they told me it was a proprietary pattern and we’re unsure if it was the same as anything else

I’m pretty sure the element and the havak ph2 are the same footprint. I have installed my havak ph2 6.5 prc into a Falkor chassis, a xlr element 4.0 magnesium, and a bravo. It fit in all of them. The issue is the mag release needs to be shortened to allow mags to seat. I have not done that but seekins when I called offered to send me a modified mag latch that they use on their bravo builds.

I ended up changing directions and bought a kelbly nanook so never modified the mag latches but it fit otherwise.

I did think about that. When I talked to the Seekins guys about their action, they told me it was a proprietary pattern and we’re unsure if it was the same as anything else

Yep your right, I just pulled up a picture of one taken apart and it’s more like the HIT action and not a 700 footprint.

You could buy a PH2, send it in to Seekins to have an element barrel installed and have less $$ in it than and Element and have a spare barrel and then drop that into a HNT26.

Other than than most of the actions are the same weight at around 30oz unless you go with something like the Pierce Titanium. Unless thats what you want then I’d just pick which you like the best and take the weight penalty.

Reactions: mrtoyz
Lone Peak Fussion Ti is very nice if you got the cash.

Bat Vesper S/A 75 degree bolt throw. Unknown has them in stock. Not cheap but very nice!

I’ve heard good things about BAT, will look at Lone Peak and Pierce. May need a spreadsheet. Lol
To be honest other than looking at weight I’m not sure what else to look for and I’m not going to get to play with any of these.
Having never built a bolt action is it better to have a company install barrel or is buying a prefit and screwing it together as simple as it is?? Sorry for my ignorance.
Currently thinking Proof as I’ve had good luck with them and the weight should be good.

Last edited:
To be honest other than looking at weight I’m not sure what else to look for and I’m not going to get to play with any of these.
Most people default to talking about smooootthhhnesss. For me, I want an integrated lug & rail, I prefer trigger pins over trigger hangers, I don’t care about 2 lug vs 3 lug or throw angle, swappable bolt heads are nice but not necessary, I want large availability of off-the-shelf prefits, I prefer nitrided receivers & bolts. Some people have big opinions on extractors, port lengths, and every little thing.

Having never built a bolt action is it better to have a company install barrel or is buying a prefit and screwing it together as simple as it is
Have had multiple of both. I haven’t noticed a difference between gunsmith installed or torqued at home.

Looking for 6ish lb (sans scope) 7PRC hunting rifle in a folding chassis, likely HTN26
I have a HNT26 and like it, but I don’t know that I’d use one on a 6 pound 7PRC. I have a 7mag in a Manners EH-1 that weighs the same as a 6.5CM in a HNT26 and has less perceived recoil than the 6.5 to me. Also, it’ll be easier to get to 6 pounds with a steel barrel.

I’m pretty sure the element and the havak ph2 are the same footprint. I have installed my havak ph2 6.5 prc into a Falkor chassis, a xlr element 4.0 magnesium, and a bravo. It fit in all of them. The issue is the mag release needs to be shortened to allow mags to seat. I have not done that but seekins when I called offered to send me a modified mag latch that they use on their bravo builds.

I ended up changing directions and bought a kelbly nanook so never modified the mag latches but it fit otherwise.
Element and PH2 actions are different footprints

Reactions: mrtoyz and Baron85
Most people default to talking about smooootthhhnesss. For me, I want an integrated lug & rail, I prefer trigger pins over trigger hangers, I don’t care about 2 lug vs 3 lug or throw angle, swappable bolt heads are nice but not necessary, I want large availability of off-the-shelf prefits, I prefer nitrided receivers & bolts. Some people have big opinions on extractors, port lengths, and every little thing.

Have had multiple of both. I haven’t noticed a difference between gunsmith installed or torqued at home.

I have a HNT26 and like it, but I don’t know that I’d use one on a 6 pound 7PRC. I have a 7mag in a Manners EH-1 that weighs the same as a 6.5CM in a HNT26 and has less perceived recoil than the 6.5 to me. Also, it’ll be easier to get to 6 pounds with a steel barrel.
Appreciate the info. Thank you

Seekins Element in 7PRC weighs just under 6lbs. With 29oz NX8 recoil is surprisingly manageable.

Talked to Paul Craddock he’d said he could get close the carbon weights by fluting steal. Not so sure it’s possible to get below. Have any sources?

Last edited:
I believe purchasing an element and inserting it into an HNT26 would be easy. Though still less expensive than a SLAM.

I believe purchasing an element and inserting it into an HNT26 would be easy. Though still less expensive than a SLAM.
Element is not a R700 footprint, it will only fit in a HNT26 if you are able to get MDT to make you a custom chassis

@MDT_OFFICIAL @MDT_Josh
What say the MDT folks? Any experience with the Seekins Element action? Possible to make a HTN26 fit?
One of our Team Shooters; Mike Lilly, was looking at this combination last year and we determined that the Havak Element was NOT COMPATIBLE in our R700 SA RH inlet due to their action geometry. For whatever reason, they decided it would be a better idea to run a proprietary inlet than one that was pre-existing.

Ultra-lightweight builds that we know will work with an HNT-26 R700 SA/LA:
- Defiance Anti-X
- Lone Peak Fuzion Ti
- Zermatt Ti3
- BAT Vesper S

I am sure there are more that I am missing!

- Josh