• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Help Choosing My First Bolt Rifle

SMR510

Private
Minuteman
Oct 8, 2012
Hey everyone, new here so go easy one me.

I am in the process of selecting my first bolt rifle. I have narrowed it down to one brand (Savage) and .308 as a caliber and now I am just trying to figure out what model I want. The purpose of the rifle will just be a range gun for now, there arent that many local long distance ranges but I would like to be able to go out to 600 on a regular basis and 1000 on occasion.

There are four that are appealing to me. First is the 10 FCP-K, then the 10/110 FCP HS Precision, the 10 FCP McMillan, and finally the Savage HS 308 24 5R-THREADED BARREL.

Like I mentioned this will be my first bolt rifle and I am really looking for a platform that I can keep for a long time and upgrade as I need to. Price is a bit of a concern as I will need to get glass, mounts, bipod and all the other accessories to go along with the rifle. For that reason the 10 FCP-K seems like a great starting point. Next would be the 10/110 FCP HS Precision and that seems like a slightly better rifle but if that isnt the stock I want to end up with is it worth the extra cost vs. the 10 FCP-K? The McMillan version is appealing because that is ultimately the stock I want on the gun but it is slightly more than I would like to spend. The Savage HS 308 24 5R-THREADED BARREL seems like a good starting point but I cant find that much info on it so its hard to say.

I have also read that the McMillan stock does not have pillars in it or the sniper fill, is that something I should be concerned with?

Currently I am trying to read up as much as possible but any personal experience or help determining the differences between all of these options (or any others I should consider) would be very helpful.

I appreciate the help and thanks in advance.

Re: Help Choosing My First Bolt Rifle

You sound like you're in the exact same position I was a few years ago. I ultimately went with the HS Precision model. I didn't get the McMillan for the reason you mentioned. As my first rifle I wanted it to be good out of the box. Either way, don't get the basic stock. After using mine for awhile I played with one that had the regular stock and was very glad I got a better stock. They really feel cheap in comparison.
The HS Precision has been a great first rifle for me. It will be a long time before my skill warrants something more expensive. I have since put a 7mm-08 Criterion barrel on it as I think 308 is not as good as 7mm, but at least you can do that yourself with a Savage if you want to change calibers later.

I'd say go with the HS precision. A buddy of mine started with that and without much alteration has a heck of a stick now.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

So it seems the HS Precision stock is the way to go. There were two models I listed with it, can anyone enlighten me on the diff between the two? It seems the only difference is the barrel, one is a 5r barrel the other is not. The price difference is right around $100.

Thanks again

SMR510. Take some more time to learn your options better before you get something. Save your money meanwhile for ammo and optics, etc.

You never know who might answer your questions here and as well meaning as some people might be, there are others who would just as soon justify their purchases by getting you to buy what they got. Weird, I know.

There is PLENTY of info for you to digest if you look for it. You don't have to rely on this post. Also, visit the ranges you mentioned and see if there are some helpful folks there who might be able to help you see what's up.

Be patient, learn, and get something YOU like, now something someone else likes.

If agree, learn what you like and dislike before dropping cash. And because of available aftermarket support, go Remmington.

You may find yourself liking this chassis or that one down the road, or perhaps having a smith build it up at the end of your barrel life. Most want Rem or custom actions.

my son has a fcpk and i have the mcmillan, my mcmillan is currently at a shop getting the stock pillar bedded...lol his shot better out of the box. hopefully mine will catch up or surpass his when it gets back...lol

If you buy a Savage your lock in to a very small marked of upgrades. The Remington 700 is a better choice becouse of the vast amount of steps up you can go. if your looking for a hunting gun a Savage is fine for the. (I have both so its not like im talking out my ass)

you want to get a 1:10 twist for the 308... from you short post on what your looking for i would say the best gun for you is a Remington 700 ACC-SD with a upgraded stock. so if you wish you can go to the DBM bottom plates. Savage you restricted to 3-4 stocks compared to the vast amount of Remington, and their savage mag system offers no upgrades.....

US military been using M40 for ever and a day. their are many reasons they do not use savages,,,, although i will admit savage has come a long way in the past years. still i highly advise a Remington.

I do understand that the Savage has less aftermarket support but in all honestly is it really that bad? You mention there are only 3-4 stock option but they are also the most popular 3-4 so I just feel like it isnt that limiting.

From everything I have read here, and elsewhere, it seems like the Savage is a more accurate gun straight from the box. Since I am just starting out and this will be my first bolt gun I will likely not "need" any upgrades for a while...That is why I am leaning toward one of the upgraded models from the start, should be able to shoot it as is (maybe minor stuff like a nice bedding job) for a couple years before I feel like the gun is holding me back.

It seems like if I buy a 700 with the intention of needing to replace this or that I will end up spending a bunch more money with very little difference in the end.

Don't mind the remy fan boys, they know Savage makes a better rifle. Ask them to change their barrel in the garage and see how that works out.
wink.gif

I went with a 10PC to begin with, after my 700 was out shot by a friend's 10PC. I sold the 700 and looked at the 10PC, as it offered more and was a great price. I bought mine at the time the threaded barrel wasn't a option so I had to send mine off to be threaded. For a 20" barrel, it shoots great and I have plenty of options to upgrade in the future if need be. IMO, one of the best starter bolt guns out now.

I am more of a 700 guy, but there is nothing wrong with your choice.

The McMillan stock is a very nice stock, it is top quality and only a couple hundred more than the HS. You may want to have pillars installed, which is another expense. By the way, pillars aren't a form of bedding, they just prevent the stock material from being compressed when tightening the action screws.

The HS stock is also a very nice stock, doesn't require pillars as it has an aluminum bedding block.

The 10FCP-K is not an accustock model and you will be replacing the stock, which will be an additional cost.

My vote is for the HS model, basically, less to think about.
Buy rifle, install weaver 20moa extended multi-slot rail, install scope and shoot.

I did finger fuck mcmillan model the other day, I must say the stock was very nice, a bit nicer than the HS, but the HS is a very good stock.

Best thing would be to go to the range and get behind one if you can. Most of us are happy to help new shooter out. Get what you want in the rifle. Personally I would be more concerned about the scope than the rifle but thats just me. Good luck and welcome.
grin.gif

Thanks everyone for your feedback, I found a local savage dealer that has most of the models I am considering in stock so I can go handle them and make the decision after touching each one. Seems like a logical way to go, unfortunately there are not any long distance ranges close enough to me so that I oculd drive out and check out the "local" scene. The closest "range" is actually BLM land, other than that I dont think there is anything over 400 yards (well at least public ranges) unless I drive a couple hours each way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am more of a 700 guy, but there is nothing wrong with your choice.

The McMillan stock is a very nice stock, it is top quality and only a couple hundred more than the HS. You may want to have pillars installed, which is another expense. By the way, pillars aren't a form of bedding, they just prevent the stock material from being compressed when tightening the action screws.

The HS stock is also a very nice stock, doesn't require pillars as it has an aluminum bedding block.

The 10FCP-K is not an accustock model and you will be replacing the stock, which will be an additional cost.

My vote is for the HS model, basically, less to think about.
Buy rifle, install weaver 20moa extended multi-slot rail, install scope and shoot.

I did finger fuck mcmillan model the other day, I must say the stock was very nice, a bit nicer than the HS, but the HS is a very good stock. </div></div>

I really appreciate your feedback, I was sort of questioning my decisions until your post. I would spring for the Mcmillan model if I was able to get options on the stock (sniper fill, adjustable cheek piece, maybe others) but I cant quite justify paying for the stock, even though it is a good deal, without having it exactly how I want it.

I think that the HS stock will be a great stock for me, I can shoot it right out of the box maybe glass bed it if I see a need and grow into the rifle. When and if I get to a point where I want to upgrade I can always get a McMillan or one of the other options. Also, that version saves me $100 or whatever that I can justify spending on nicer glass and accessories as well as more ammo to send down range.

Now I need to decide on glass, rings, and a base. I am thinking about the Falcon Menace 5.5-25 or a Millet 6-25 or one of the other budget ffp scopes. Or I might go with a SS fixed 10x or 16x, not sure yet I will have to do some more reading up on each of the options. I wanted the Vortex Viper PST but I just realize the less expensive model I was looking at is not FFP, you have to add $200 for that option.

I shot an HS stock on a Rem PSS for years and shot well with it.

As for glass, there are many ways to go. buy cheaper glass until you have funds for good glass.

Save your pennies and by decent glass out of the gate.

some of this will depend on what kind of shooting you will be doing. If you're going to be using the adjustments a bunch, save your pennies and buy decent glass. You are paying for durability and reliability.
If you are going to set it and forget it, a cheaper option will work ok for awhile until you really know what you want in a scope. By that time, you may be wanting to start building your first custom rig
crazy.gif

The sickness gets deep my friend.

my .02

Yea I am trying to figure out the scope thing, the cheaper FFP scopes are very appealing to me at the moment. I would really like to get a vortex viper PST but that is basically double the cost of the Falcon Menace. Since this will be my first long range rifle I am unsure how much it will get used so I am having a hard time justifying a scope that costs more than the rifle it is going on.

Decisions, decisions...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SMR510</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yea I am trying to figure out the scope thing, the cheaper FFP scopes are very appealing to me at the moment. I would really like to get a vortex viper PST but that is basically double the cost of the Falcon Menace. Since this will be my first long range rifle I am unsure how much it will get used so I am having a hard time justifying a scope that costs more than the rifle it is going on.

Decisions, decisions... </div></div>Having a scope that cost more than the rifle is a good thing. My HS Precision started off with a PST, currently has a fixed 16x IOR, and will have a Nighforce in the near future. The rifle does everything I want it to, but I'm getting fussier about scopes.

Are you sure you want a FFP for Benchrest? It will make your reticle thicker at high power.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 0V3RC10CK3D</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Savage makes this new model called a Remington 700. You should check it out : ) </div></div>

Remington SUCKS!!
wink.gif

Thumbs up to the Crickett

You can call Savage and talk to their custom shop. They can build you just about anything you want using their combination of available parts they sell. No additional cost, and well worth it.

I would say you are mistaken if you believe savage more accurate out of the box, apples to apples. It simply isn't true. Nor is it true that they are significantly cheaper. When you compare like models, they are about the same price.

It has nothing to do with "Remington fanboys", I'm just giving you a logical approach. I don't shoot a Remington anymore, rather a Stiller these days and considering an AI. I'm basing it on logic. The real "fanboys" are the guys that lovd all 1000 variations of the Savage with incompatible parts, lack of aftermarket support, that dream of swapping out their barrels on their garage weekly. By the way, to do so with a Remington requires pinning the recoil lug and simple tools from there.

You won't "plan" on lots of changes initially, but you ultimately will. And when you decide turning it into a custom, you'll likely have to sell it for a huge loss and buy a Remington or custom action.

I was in your position last Spring. Bought my first rifle and it was between remington and savage. I bought a savage 10FLCP-K..... yes the lefty version. I really like it. It shoots very well and several months after buying it I got into reloading my own ammo.

I've been reading through this thread and looked up some of the other manufacturers mentioned. HS Precision rifles, unless I'm missing something are in the $3000 plus range!! My Savage cost around $900. When I bought my rifle I didn't want to buy a piece of crap but at the same time didn't want to spend thousands trying it for the first time. A year later I'm very happy with the rifle and shoot better than some of the guys with the really expensive stuff. I see people with custom rigs who can't hit shit shooting off the bench on a Caldwell sled. Don't be that guy. I look forward to buying a top notch rifle one day, but not before I know I can appreciate it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would say you are mistaken if you believe savage more accurate out of the box, apples to apples. It simply isn't true. Nor is it true that they are significantly cheaper. When you compare like models, they are about the same price.</div></div>

Everything that I have read says that the Savage rifles are more accurate than the equivalent R700...

They are cheaper, as far as I can tell Remington does not offer a rifle in a configuration such as the 10/110 FCP HS Precision. The fact that the gun comes in a decent stock saves a bit of money.

The Savage is ~$1000
If I start with a SPS ~$700 and add a ~$400 stock that is ~$1100...

I must be missing something.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">that dream of swapping out their barrels on their garage weekly. By the way, to do so with a Remington requires pinning the recoil lug and simple tools from there.</div></div>

And a lathe to make any changes to headspace if it is required.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You won't "plan" on lots of changes initially, but you ultimately will. And when you decide turning it into a custom, you'll likely have to sell it for a huge loss and buy a Remington or custom action. </div></div>

I am really lost on why every Savage discussion comes back to this. I can find any part I need to make a Savage as custom as I feel I will ever need it to be. Yes, I will have as little as two or three choices on some parts but if those are the parts that A)Work well and B)Would be the same parts I put on a 700 anyways is that really a problem? If I can replace every part on the Savage minus the receiver with an upgraded part how is that not custom?

Sorry, not trying to be a dick or anything but I want to know the facts. Please provide links to some information I can read to back up what you are saying. Ultimately all of this is personal preference and I understand that and appreciate the opinions of people that have more experience with bolt rifles than I do (I have none). I keep coming across articles, threads, reviews, etc. where people are surprised at the accuracy of these Savages models straight from the box. The other think I keep finding is people coming from Remington going to Savage and having very good things to say.

I could have the best rifle in the world (we would probably have to argue what it is first but lets just say that I have it) and I may not be able to hit a barn at long range with the amount of long distance precision shooting skill I have (little to none). At this point I am looking for a rifle that I can begin to learn with, develop my skill, and if later on I decide to switch I am not opposed to that.

I bought my HS Precision Savage for $919. I didn't really have any brand loyalty as I just wanted the most for my money. I looked at the Remingtons, but I just couldn't get as much for my money with them.

The problem is Savage makes major changes to their bolt guns frequently. You'll find major differences in bases, action screw spacing, etc. if you want certain chassis systems or many great smiths, you're out of luck. Call GAP and tell them you want a Savage build from them and an AI AX chassis or whiskey 3.

As far as more for your money with a Savage with H-S for $920, did you look at the LTR? 700P or 5R? My local shop has a 700P on the shelf for $950 and a 5R for $1030. They usually come 10% off their price of you ask. You could get an SPS Tactical or Varmint for $550. If you can't find an H-S stock for $400, you're doing it wrong. Apples to apples, they are about the same price.

If cost is a concern then compare the basic 700 in 5r to the savage 10fcp 5r. Savage cost at buds guns $744. I don't know what the Rem 700 basic cost is but I believe it's at lest $900 to $1000. The savage is listed on buds as 19055 comes with dbm 4round accu trigger and accu stock and threaded heavy fluted barrel. Yes after market parts are harder to find than the remmy, but for an accurate out of the box rifle it can't be beat.

Just make sure if you get a Savage to get one with the top bolt release and not one that's on the trigger guard.

Well here is another report of someone who's Savage is absolutely awesome. A year later and the rifle is still capable of more than the guy driving the thing. From one beginner to another, there are a lot of opinions out there about whats the best gear to purchase. You do need a good rifle,scope, base and rings to shoot out at those longer distances. That's another thing don't bitch out on the scope it makes a difference. My set up currently costs around $2000 with everything on it. In MD the furthest range I found was 300 yards. I went to PA last weekend and had the chance to shoot out to 1000 yards for the first time shooting at Steel plates. Don't go overboard on the gear. Get a respectable setup and go out to the range and practice. My Savage has worked really well for me I think it's a great rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SMR510</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Everything that I have read says that the Savage rifles are more accurate than the equivalent R700...</div></div>

That doesn't mean its true. There are plenty of threads that say the opposite is true. Anybody that can honestly tell you that one is significantly more accurate than the other when similarly configured is full of shit. But guess what? I read the President is pro2A earlier this week. Must be true?

Here's what one guy is claiming just this week with his 5R.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SMR510</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They are cheaper, as far as I can tell Remington does not offer a rifle in a configuration such as the 10/110 FCP HS Precision. The fact that the gun comes in a decent stock saves a bit of money.

The Savage is ~$1000
If I start with a SPS ~$700 and add a ~$400 stock that is ~$1100...

I must be missing something.</div></div>

You are missing something. For one, SPS don't cost $700, they typically run $550-600. That's robbery. H-S stocks aren't $400. Additionally, somebody posted today in another thread a link to 700Ps for about $900 shipped. You can get a 5R for under $1000. So if the same price is "significantly cheaper" to you, you've got bigger problems than picking one vs the other.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">that dream of swapping out their barrels on their garage weekly. By the way, to do so with a Remington requires pinning the recoil lug and simple tools from there.</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SMR510</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And a lathe to make any changes to headspace if it is required.
SMR510 said:
When you have a smith make you a barrel, he keeps your numbers on file and headspace is right. You don't need a lathe. You order the barrel, you screw it on. Simple as that.

SMR510 said:
I am really lost on why every Savage discussion comes back to this. I can find any part I need to make a Savage as custom as I feel I will ever need it to be. Yes, I will have as little as two or three choices on some parts but if those are the parts that A)Work well and B)Would be the same parts I put on a 700 anyways is that really a problem? If I can replace every part on the Savage minus the receiver with an upgraded part how is that not custom?</div></div>

It comes back to this because its the truth. Right now a guy in another thread wants to replace his crapputrigger and he wants something similar to Timney and can't find anything that for Savage. Its just the way it is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SMR510</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry, not trying to be a dick or anything but I want to know the facts. Please provide links to some information I can read to back up what you are saying. Ultimately all of this is personal preference and I understand that and appreciate the opinions of people that have more experience with bolt rifles than I do (I have none). I keep coming across articles, threads, reviews, etc. where people are surprised at the accuracy of these Savages models straight from the box. The other think I keep finding is people coming from Remington going to Savage and having very good things to say.</div></div>

Here's the guy looking for a trigger that meets his preference:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3621630&gonew=1#UNREAD

Here's a huge thread about "solving the Savage DBM problem":
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2165461

Here's a link to show you that prices are similar:
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/produ...ce+308WIN+26+HB

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/produ...8+24+5R+MILSPEC

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/produ...O+SPS+VAR+7MM08

^^^Notice, not $700.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SMR510</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I could have the best rifle in the world (we would probably have to argue what it is first but lets just say that I have it) and I may not be able to hit a barn at long range with the amount of long distance precision shooting skill I have (little to none). At this point I am looking for a rifle that I can begin to learn with, develop my skill, and if later on I decide to switch I am not opposed to that. </div></div>

This is the most true thing you've said. Most of the rifles are going to outshoot the shooter. But as you grow you'll want to upgrade. Your options are sell and start over, or go with a Remington which is far more adaptable. Do some searches here on the hide, talk to some smiths, etc. Truth is you may think this stock or that stock will work, but you really don't know til you get behind them. Until you actually get into this sport and try stuff, you don't know what works for you. Personally, I shoot like crap with an H-S, but do great with a Manners. Some guys like AICS. Some like the AX.

Another question, why the obsession with the McM being "Sniper fill" or having or not having pillars? To get the most out of it, you're going to be sending it to a smith to be bedded either way---or doing it yourself if you're capable. Additionally, the medium-fill McMillan stocks are heavier than H-S Precision. Why the "sniper-fill"? Its unnecessary weight!

I was in a similar position as you... I had an M1A National Match, but it wasn't giving me the kind of accuracy I wanted so I decided to sell it and get my first bolt gun. My brother has a Savage (Model 12?) in .308 that he got from the custom shop with a 30" SS bull barrel and he put it in a Choate stock with a Leupold Mark4 6-20x50. (He said the only problem with ordering from the Savage custom shop is you will pay full retail.) With his hand loads that rifle is very capable and he has done three LR shooting courses, shooting near the top, if not at the top of the class. (Against "professionals" with equipment costing 2x-3x his set up.)

I considered the Rem 700, but it seems you have to spend a bunch more just to get it where it should be out of the box... I wanted an AICS chassis but they are not making one for a Savage yet. I found the 10BA-LE in .308 and between the cost and features it is just about exactly what I wanted. Chassis, adjustable LOP and cheek rest, fluted 1:10 bull barrel, already threaded with a brake, and an adjustable trigger. All this for just $1612 delivered from Buds. Retail price for this model is over $2200. The only thing I wish was different would be a 26" or 28" barrel for higher velocity and I can do that for about $500-$600 if I want in the future. I only have about 100 rounds through it now, but in my first range session I was breaking in the barrel using some thrown together hand loads (match prepped military range brass LC and FC, 168gn Hornady BTHP, 210M primers, and some 10 year old BLC2 powder I had in the garage). After my first 30 rounds of shoot/clean, I had loaded some strings at 0.3gn powder intervals just for the heck of it. I shot a 4 shot group with 46.6gn of powder at 100yds that was about .65" and would fit under a nickle. The "flyer" was from the just cleaned barrel. The group of three are under .5". Yep, it's accurate right out of the box and will be even better after I get a proper load worked up. Already did my first ladder tests with Varget and 168/175gn SMK in IMI match brass and I'm going to the range tomorrow to do a second ladder test at 300yards...

Get the Savage...

266grBLC-2168grBTHP100ydsgroup_zps32c8ddb3.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It comes back to this because its the truth. Right now a guy in another thread wants to replace his crapputrigger and he wants something similar to Timney and can't find anything that for Savage. Its just the way it is.</div></div>

It's true that the trigger options for Savage are limited. Right now only Basix makes them with the SAV-1 & SAV-2 and the SAV-2 doesn't work with an Accustock so it may not work with an H-S either. This is a double edged sword though as the reason they aren't made is because there is not much of a market for them since Savage offers such a good trigger from the factory. This is what they told me at Jewell when I inquired. He told me that they had actually made a prototype but decided that the market was too weak to produce it.

SMR510: If you have the ability to try out the Accutrigger before you decide it would be ideal. If you like it then it doesn't matter. If you don't then a Savage would be a bad choice. I had some issues with my Accutrigger that I was able to fix and now it's a great trigger. Most people never have a problem with theirs and usually like them.

I gues that's the reason there are hoards of chassis makers that don't make chassis for the Savage? Because their factory stock is so good?
wink.gif

I'd imagine a lot of the reason is Savage is inconsistent with their production, always changing things from model to model that won't interchange. That and because there isn't so many Savages overall compared to the 700.

The Accu-trigger is love or hate. I've got two rifles with them and hate both of them. They are crapputriggers in my book. Personally, wouldn't have a Jewel either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You won't "plan" on lots of changes initially, but you ultimately will. And when you decide turning it into a custom, you'll likely have to sell it for a huge loss and buy a Remington or custom action. </div></div>

Along with the theme that you really can't go too wrong with a Savage or Remington - the actual honest (non-fanboy) way to say this is; you'll likely sell a trued Remington or Savage for a huge loss if you're looking to recoup the cost of gunsmithing too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I gues that's the reason there are hoards of chassis makers that don't make chassis for the Savage? Because their factory stock is so good?
wink.gif
</div></div>Savage and Remington factory stocks are both garbage IMO. If you want to buy an aftermarket stock for a Savage there are lots of choices. Maybe not as many as Remington, but you can probably get what you want. There is a very small selection of triggers for Savage in comparison.

I copied this from the other thread that is exactly the same. BTW, my main rifle is a DTA, so this is an unbiased opinion.

Get the Remington 700. Is it better out of the box than the Savage? Probably not. However, there is a reason that when you look at national level shooting matches like the 2012 NorCal TBRC 76 out of 77 rifles are either Remingtons or Remington clones.

The Remington 700 short action is to the gun world what the Chevy small block 350 is to the car world. Everyone makes TONS of parts for them, and all smiths not only know how to work on them but doubtless have 2000% more experience working on them than any other brand.

Buy a Remington 700 SPS tactical in 308. Shoot a lot, upgrade stock, trigger, base, rings, scope, and finally barrel one at a time as your ability and cash increases. Ultimately if you choose parts wisely, you will end up with a full custom rifle, and never have wasted a dollar.

If you choose Savage, and rise in this sport. Eventually you will end up selling it at a lower price, and buying a Remington, or Remington clone. You simply can't compete with all of the choices and competition of brands that support the 700.

To the Savage lovers, sorry.....it's unfair, but the way it is.

Ty