• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes help choosing, nightforce?

badshooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2008
South Arkansas
I'm looking to replace the Mk4 leuppy I have. It is a 3.5-10x40 M3. I want to stay at or under 40mm objective. I was looking at the 2.5-10x32 NF. Are they a lot better than the Mk4? I also want to keep the M3 style turrets, as in tactical style not covered. Are there any other options in the $1300 range or less?

I have never had a better scope than the Mk4. The turret clicks are starting to bother me, and the numbers don't exactly line up with the zero mark. The optics are okay, but not nearly as good as my 10x Steiner bino's. I would like to be able to pick out a little better detail with whatever scope I get.

Re: help choosing, nightforce?

I've only ever used one IOR and i'd never use another! But with that being said there are alot of fellas around here running em.

Do a search.It'll answer your questions on the IOR better than i can.

One of my NF scopes is the 2.5x10, currently on a 5.56/.223 Wylde chambered flattop.

Have you considered sending your Leupold back for a rebuild?

i just ordered my first nightforce today...i hope they are better than the mark 4..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KnabstrupperUSA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i just ordered my first nightforce today...i hope they are better than the mark 4..</div></div>

NIght and day difference. The first thing you should notice is how crisp the reticle is, regardless of the one you picked. The knobs, the illumination, the glass; everything about the NF is way over the Mk4 in my opinion. I have 1 Mk4 left, and I moved it to my least demanding rifle.

The NF 2.5-10X32 is one of my favorite general purpose scopes. It's just the right size, the glass is great, and it's full featured(zero-stop, exposed/covered MIL or MOA knobs, etc). If your diligent and patient it's very likely that one will turn up in the $1300 range. Not that MK4s are bad, I just like it a lot better than the MK4s I've owned. I like the little NF so much that I'm actually going to buy another 2.5-10X32 in the next few days.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palmik</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KnabstrupperUSA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i just ordered my first nightforce today...i hope they are better than the mark 4..</div></div>

NIght and day difference. The first thing you should notice is how crisp the reticle is, regardless of the one you picked. The knobs, the illumination, the glass; everything about the NF is way over the Mk4 in my opinion. I have 1 Mk4 left, and I moved it to my least demanding rifle. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: secondstoryguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The NF 2.5-10X32 is one of my favorite general purpose scopes. It's just the right size, the glass is great, and it's full featured(zero-stop, exposed/covered MIL or MOA knobs, etc). If your diligent and patient it's very likely that one will turn up in the $1300 range. Not that MK4s are bad, I just like it a lot better than the MK4s I've owned. I like the little NF so much that I'm actually going to buy another 2.5-10X32 in the next few days. </div></div>

Like these guys stated very well and myself having both, any of the NXS line will be head and shoulders above a comparable Loopy. I like the Mk4 but I think they are a lil overpriced compared to what else is available in the market. You CANNOT go wrong with a NF product.

just got my NSX 5.5 - 22 x 56 Mil Dot / Mil Turrets Zero Stop

Havnt had a chance to go out and test her yet but everything seems well...

She sure is a nice scope... and big !

When i compare her to the Bushnell 4200 on my Savage 17hmr... its a whole other world of optics.

Badshooter i dont think you will be dissapointed

What size objective lense do most of you guys have on you NF's? 50mm or 56mm? The Only difference I can see is the exit pupil. This will effect light gathering in low light conditions correct? Also is an adjustable comb a must with a 56mm?

I'd go 50mm for the 3.5-15 and 56mm for the 5.5-22. I have them both in 1" height NF Ultrlight rings and no need for an adjustable comb but it depends on face structure and height of comb.

I have been looking at some other options, too. How does the bushnell 6500 2.5-16x42 and the burris euro diamond scope compare to the leuppy Mk4. I like the style of the M2/M3 turrets on the Mk4. What are the options for scopes with a M2/M3 style(exposed, low profile) turret?

The bushnell 6500 comes either way, tactical which I think is too tall, or the covered turrets. Some company might make a replacement knob, but I don't know. I would like to see the turret caps removed to see how the adjustments are. The 3200 and 4200's are not very easy to use without a screwdriver.

I can use my Bushnell 4200 turrets without a screwdriver... but then again i have very short thumb nails that dont flex much.

Not sure on the Burris as ive never used one, but i will stand by Bushnell products as they represent good value for money.

Im not too sure if bushnell are using wire reticles or not... the NF reticles are all etched glass.

If the different in price between a 6500 elite and a NF NXS is only minimal, i would just fork out the extra cash and go with the NF. Cant go wrong

I would say from the uncertainty you have about the Bushnell turrets it would be best to stick with the NF
smile.gif

My 4200 6-24x50 can be used without a screwdriver. In fact, they can't be used with one. Gotta love tactical turrets. I will never buy another scope again for a precision rifle where I have to uncap the turrets to make adjustments. For the 17 HMR, fine, but not for my tactical .308.

I highly recommend the Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x50, though you said you wanted to stay with a reasonably small objective lens. I think they compare to everything in its price range and a bit higher, perhaps up to Leupy range, but I don't have any illusions that it's a NF in disguise.