• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help Choosing Scope Rings/Mount

AlphaThree

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2020
Putting the finishing touches on my first bolt action build and the last thing I need is something to mount the Mark 5 HD on the seekins BA in KRG chassis. The two questions I have are what height and whether I should use rings or a one piece mount. What are the considerations when choosing the mounts? I know I want to keep height over bore as low as possible but i one day might want to add a clip on thermal to cowitness. Any help would be appreciated

What barrel contour are you using?

I have the High (1.26”) ARC M10 rings on my Mark 5. With a Proof competition contour it would be tight to mount a thermal.

Not to add more mud to the water, but also another consideration would be would you want to mount a red dot to your mounting system?

What barrel contour are you using?

I have the High (1.26”) ARC M10 rings on my Mark 5. With a Proof competition contour it would be tight to mount a thermal.

Not to add more mud to the water, but also another consideration would be would you want to mount a red dot to your mounting system?
Its their standard contour. I have the enclosed forend on the Whiskey 3 so that’s probably
More of a consideration to cowitness than the barrel profile.

so I should probably be looking at high rings/mount?

Its their standard contour. I have the enclosed forend on the Whiskey 3 so that’s probably
More of a consideration to cowitness than the barrel profile.

so I should probably be looking at high rings/mount?

Yes, I would recommend high or really anything 1.1” or higher.

One option is to stack pennies on your rail until you get the desired scope height. Measure it and then go searching!

I know I want to keep height over bore as low as possible

Scope height over bore is dictated by what's needed to clear the barrel and by what's needed to have a natural head position when looking through the scope.

Why do you think it needs to be as low as possible?

Following this convo as well for my NX8 but on an AR platform.
Im also curious why you would prefer the scope as low as possible. My humble thoughts would be you need your scope at a height where your stock weld and eye relief match up. Do you have an adjustable stock on your pew pew?