• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Help choosing thermal monocular

veeramani

Private
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2013
Nevads
Guys I need help choosing a thermal monocular for spotting deer up to 1km to 1.5 km away. I have about 3.5I to spend.

I need something absolutely rugged that won't let me down especially after a long hike through the hills.

I've been told to go with the pulsar xp38 but I'm not sure if its milspec and the fact that it's made in Lithuania makes me suspect.

Please let me know what you think any other alternative.

I'm in the market for thermal as well but don't have any at the moment. Disregard my opinion if it doesn't make sense.

Your statement of spotting deer at 1-1.5 km for a $3500 budget seems very unreasonable. There is a huge difference between identification and detection as is the distance difference between 1 km and 1.5 km especially in regards to thermal identification. Either increase your budget 3 or 4 fold or decrease your identification expectations by said amount. Otherwise, you are setting yourself up for an expensive disappointment.

I would recommend doing more research. YouTube videos or try renting some equipment from places like this: https://www.ultimatenightvision.com/Rentals-s/1820.htm

Take a look at the new Iray MH25 thermal 640 monocular. Its about $1000 more than your current budget, but looks like an amazing piece if equipment. Talk to surgeonshooter about it .

Thanks for your reply. I'm just wary of a Chinese technology. I don't mind spending more if need be.

The way I see it. If I get a unit with 1km capability then something 600m will be crystal clear

What kind of ID detail are you really needing? I just watched 8 deer eating in a field 600 yards away tonight with a Pulsar Axion XM38. Bought it barely used for $2k. I have an old Pulsar Quantum HD38A that hasn’t missed a beat the last 4 coyote seasons. You’re not going to size up racks but you’ll for sure know there is a living animal out in the field past 1000 yards with a decent spotter. It will be up to your experience to determine the difference between a coyote, horse, raccoon, deer, etc.

I have the pulsar lexion xp38, which is the LE version of the the thermion xp38.

the lexion is said to have a more rugged housing but is otherwise the same as the thermion.

i think the 1.9 base magnification is perfect for scanning. Recognizing deer in a field at 1000 yards is not difficult, but may be more process of elimination rather than identification.

My unit came with the ips7 battery pack and it rocks. This past friday i was hunting from dusk to dawn, approximately 12 hours in 30 degree temps and still had some battery life left. And this was with image detail boost on, which improves the image but uses more battery.