• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help comparing a few stocks

arrowslinger#1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2011
KY
www.google.com
Ok have a rem700 sps short action looking at a couple stocks -
Hs precision sporter
Boyds prairie hunter
Boyds thumbhole

What I am looking for is a good cheek weld
Here is my current sps stock's drop shown with a ruler and by the bolt
If you have any of the above stocks could you do the same and post a pic?
With the lowest ring setup I can get I still need the stock up about a 1/4 inch.
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 27
Thats true but he was asking about cheek-weld, if that's the only concern (which it shouldn't be) a stock pack built up would work. But yes agree a better stock would be best, OP what do you plan to do with teh rifle, that will give everyone a better idea ofn giving advice.

I'm ditching the sps stock
Want to go fiberglass or pillar / glass bed into a wood stock
Just an all around rifle - just got the bug to build one in a skinny barrel on the cheap

I have a Rem 700 ADL in a stock worse than the SPS stock.

I am looking at Boyd's Prairie hunter for my hunting rifle on a "guy w/ pregnant wife" budget.

If this is a heavy barrel just go with the m40 bell and carlson. One of the best bangs for the buck. If it is a sporter, look at the alaskan 2 by bell and carlson.
They are not mcmillans or manners, but for a little money they are good. They are also great bases to try your skills at skim bedding, texturing and giving the rifle that one off camo krylon coating without the oh shit I just messed up a 1100 dollar stock.
the m40 has a raised cheekpiece and is higher than all but the adjustable hs stocks. They are usually 80-120 cheaper so you would have cash left to get a triad stock pack

I have one B&C a2 stock that i'm not really impressed with, I had to send it back twice for having the bedding block laid in crooked and too deep, and another for a warped barrel channel. They took care of me but for what I paid to have it shipped I could have went with an H&S
I have in on a 223 now but it's still not perfect.

This is a sporter barrel build
Thanks for the advice though.

I have owned the HS sporter and the Boyd featherweight thumbhole. Both of them were too low. I have a Bell and Carlson A2 and Two Bell and Carlson A5's. I also own two McMillan stocks. The B&C's fit me the best. The HS was the worst in terms of having too much drob. I have shooting bags on both of my McMillans. Best Bang for the buck for me has been the B&C stocks. I have them glass bedded (I know they have aluminum bedding blocks) anyway.