• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help decide LRF Kestrel Combo

paigecm

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2007
Ok. So I have 800 bucks burning a hole in my pocket. I don’t have a Kestrel or LRF. Thinking of 2 options and would like some input if you were starting from scratch.
1. Leica 2000.com (750) plus 5700 w/link. Either standard or elite, can upgrade later. (Would have to start saving from scratch for Kestrel)
2. Leupold RX2800 (450) plus 5700 w/link. Either standard or elite, can upgrade later. (Would have 350 in piggy bank toward Kestrel)

The obvious nice thing about the Leica is the Bluetooth between the two. But would it be worth the 350 just so I didn’t have to put in range, angle and DOF?

My range is only to one mile. So my choices may be a little overkill.

I’d say the Nikon 4K black is solid out to 3000yards and the bushnell arc CONX that links up with the kestrel is pretty slick to a mile. I’ve pushed mine to roughly 1875 yards without much issue.

I use the bluetooth connectivity between my Leica 2800.com and the Kestrel way less than I thought I would. Like zero. My work flow (for match shooting) is just easier to manually input the distance if we need to laze a target. DOF is a simple one button press on the Kestrel. My chance of dicking things up go up exponentially as the number of targets in a stage increase. The KISS method definitely keeps me out of the weeds here.

If your range is KD, I would get the 5700 Elite before the LRF. I use the kestrel probably 20:1 compared to the LRF. Field shooting is a different story, however.

That was pretty helpful. We have a about 4 ranges at the range. The one with the most steel is kd out to 1300. The mile is ukd steel out to 1 mile.