• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Help deciding on AR15 223 optic, NF vs Leupold

jackal2001

Private
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2009
Hi all. Its been a while. Haven't bought magnified optics in a long time. Seems like all I've been buying lately is red dots. My friend and I decided to build some billet AR15s, kinda on the high end, and looking to get optics. Both guns will be pretty much identical except the barrels manufacture but both are 16" 223 wylde. Basically we'll just be using them from benches, prone, standing, etc. Not running and gunning, no match type stuff, etc. We hate money so we just do this as a hobby. We mostly always shoot between 100-300 yards. I'm trying to shoot tight groups with this gun as I have other stuff for other purposes. I'm not sure what he cares about. We are trying to keep it under $2500 and compact. I enjoy practicing shooting tight groups instead of just dumping lead down range, so I'm not really sure how much magnification I need at those distances to hit quarters with match ammo. I understand keeping a heavier rifle will assist with shooting tight groups but I don't think I need to push 30oz for an optic. I had a NXS 3.5x15x50 years ago and remember how heavy that was. I don't need something heavier/longer.
I'm torn between NF ATACR 4x16x42, NF NX8 4x32x50, and Leupold Mark 5HD illuminated 3.6x18x44. (I heard to get the NX8 4x32 over the 2.5-20 version)
He is stuck in his ways (NF Fanboy) and says better to have more magnification if needed than not to have it at all and just wants to get the NX8 4x32x50.

I've read a few threads on the NF ATACR vs Leupold Mark5HD and they seem to be very close. Probably so close that I won't notice the difference since I'm only a hobbyist and won't be using this often enough to really care about a minute details one may have over the other. I did however come across something on youtube comments where someone mentioned that the Mark5HD reticle wasn't centered, if I remember correctly, and that was how they are made. That may sway me toward NF. Seems like every time I google "best ar15 optic" it returns the NF ATACR 4x16x42. Anyone else have thoughts on NF vs the Leupold Mark 5HD? I would be leaning toward the NF Mil-C or the Leupold PR1-Mil.

I found the comments and pasted them below on the Mark5HD:

"I love mine. I'd put it toe to toe with an ATACR. My next scope will be another MK5HD.

I have a question of interest. At low power to mid power is the reticle on your scope centered perfectly from right to left or is it off true center a couple MOA? I’ve heard that is normal on Leupold scopes. Example. Zoom to where the 40 MOA just taps the black edge ring on the right... on the left is it touching the black body ring also, or is the 40 hash marks on the left a few hash marks off the edge ring? Thanks!

@snow go man I've never heard of that before. So I just went and looked through my 5-25 and yeah. Its off center .2 mil. Had to get into high magnification to notice it when really looking for it (15-25mag).

@Ian Wellman whoa really!? Thats a bigg issue, no?! Been debating on a 3-18 for a few years and was getting close to just buying 1. But for $2k the reticle should nvr be off??

@Cole honestly I never noticed until dude up there said something. Hasn't effected shooting in anyway. I've shot everything out to a mile with it. I guess once you get it zeroed it negates the issue 🤷‍♂️. The 3-18 is still on my list to grab for a hunting rifle."

Of the two scopes you are looking at I would go with the NF 4-16. If illumination isn't necessary you might want to take a look at the Burris XTR3. The glass isn't quite as nice as the NF but I really like the wide FOV it offers.

My out of the box suggestion is to look at the March 1.5-15x42. It's SFP but light and compact; and if your just shooting known distances for groups it shouldn't be much of a handicap.

Reactions: TheRedPill
I have 3 of the scopes that have been mentioned. Mk5 3.6-18 on a similar rifle you'll be using, NX8 4-32 on my 6mm creedmoor bolt (mostly hunting rifle), and the XTR 3.3-18. I saw that compactness is a want - if so, I wouldn't go for the NX8 4-32 or the XTR3. Mk5 measured with scopes caps at ~ 12.5 inches, XTR3 at 14 an NX8 at 14.5.

Glass on all 3 seems comparable, the FOV on the XTR3 seems the best but the reticle (SCR2) is very thin on the bottom end. Never been behind the ATACR 4-16 but I would lean that way or the MK5 for your purposes. Think it would come down to which reticle you prefer between the 2 and if you don't care about the cost difference.

I have the NX8 4-32. I would not buy that one.
The reticle is very thin at 4x. The eye box at 32x is tiny. You will have to find it again after every round because the recoil will throw you off slightly. The glass is also a little hazy for me. I am also not a fan of their push button illumination, but all of their non lvpo scopes seem to use push buttons.

Thank you all for the comments. Since I have no experience behind a FPP, I understand that at anything under say 6-8x the reticle is going to be thin/unusable. The Mark5HD may not be as good as the ATACR, but would it be good enough for my use, maybe? I think the parallax may be touchy compared to the ATACR also. The cost difference between the ATACR and Mark5HD w/illumination are not that much from the MSRP i've seen. Still all roads seem to point to the ATACR, plus I don't even know if the Mark5HD with PR1-Mil is even available to purchase yet. I haven't come across any for sale.

Hi all. Its been a while. Haven't bought magnified optics in a long time. Seems like all I've been buying lately is red dots. My friend and I decided to build some billet AR15s, kinda on the high end, and looking to get optics. Both guns will be pretty much identical except the barrels manufacture but both are 16" 223 wylde. Basically we'll just be using them from benches, prone, standing, etc. Not running and gunning, no match type stuff, etc. We hate money so we just do this as a hobby. We mostly always shoot between 100-300 yards. I'm trying to shoot tight groups with this gun as I have other stuff for other purposes. I'm not sure what he cares about. We are trying to keep it under $2500 and compact. I enjoy practicing shooting tight groups instead of just dumping lead down range, so I'm not really sure how much magnification I need at those distances to hit quarters with match ammo. I understand keeping a heavier rifle will assist with shooting tight groups but I don't think I need to push 30oz for an optic. I had a NXS 3.5x15x50 years ago and remember how heavy that was. I don't need something heavier/longer.
I'm torn between NF ATACR 4x16x42, NF NX8 4x32x50, and Leupold Mark 5HD illuminated 3.6x18x44. (I heard to get the NX8 4x32 over the 2.5-20 version)
He is stuck in his ways (NF Fanboy) and says better to have more magnification if needed than not to have it at all and just wants to get the NX8 4x32x50.

I've read a few threads on the NF ATACR vs Leupold Mark5HD and they seem to be very close. Probably so close that I won't notice the difference since I'm only a hobbyist and won't be using this often enough to really care about a minute details one may have over the other. I did however come across something on youtube comments where someone mentioned that the Mark5HD reticle wasn't centered, if I remember correctly, and that was how they are made. That may sway me toward NF. Seems like every time I google "best ar15 optic" it returns the NF ATACR 4x16x42. Anyone else have thoughts on NF vs the Leupold Mark 5HD? I would be leaning toward the NF Mil-C or the Leupold PR1-Mil.

I found the comments and pasted them below on the Mark5HD:

"I love mine. I'd put it toe to toe with an ATACR. My next scope will be another MK5HD.

I have a question of interest. At low power to mid power is the reticle on your scope centered perfectly from right to left or is it off true center a couple MOA? I’ve heard that is normal on Leupold scopes. Example. Zoom to where the 40 MOA just taps the black edge ring on the right... on the left is it touching the black body ring also, or is the 40 hash marks on the left a few hash marks off the edge ring? Thanks!

@snow go man I've never heard of that before. So I just went and looked through my 5-25 and yeah. Its off center .2 mil. Had to get into high magnification to notice it when really looking for it (15-25mag).

@Ian Wellman whoa really!? Thats a bigg issue, no?! Been debating on a 3-18 for a few years and was getting close to just buying 1. But for $2k the reticle should nvr be off??

@Cole honestly I never noticed until dude up there said something. Hasn't effected shooting in anyway. I've shot everything out to a mile with it. I guess once you get it zeroed it negates the issue 🤷‍♂️. The 3-18 is still on my list to grab for a hunting rifle."
Ford vs chevy. Each have their fans.

If both were free.
NF makes a slightly better optic and has better qc at the factory.

Leupold has a way better mil/le program

For my money I would rather spend 3000 grand on two mk5's a little over 2 grand for one NF.

Ford vs chevy. Each have their fans.

If both were free.
NF makes a slightly better optic and has better qc at the factory.

Leupold has a way better mil/le program

For my money I would rather spend 3000 grand on two mk5's a little over 2 grand for one NF.

The Mark5HD model I'm looking at is 180725 which on the website lists at $2300. ATACR C588 lists at $2500. I'm just going off MSRP as I don't have mil/le discount.
Only reason I'm considering the Mark5HD is it is 4oz lighter, .5" shorter, has 2x mag more at the top over the NF ATACR 4x16x42 but yes, the NFs are built like tanks, etc.

Just pick the reticle you like more between the ATACR and Leupy. I doubt you can go wrong with either of those two options. I personally own a 4-16 ATACR with the Mil-C, but wouldnt mind getting behind a Mk5 some day to try it out.

The Mark5HD model I'm looking at is 180725 which on the website lists at $2300. ATACR C588 lists at $2500. I'm just going off MSRP as I don't have mil/le discount.
Only reason I'm considering the Mark5HD is it is 4oz lighter, .5" shorter, has 2x mag more at the top over the NF ATACR 4x16x42 but yes, the NFs are built like tanks, etc.

I feel the NF is worth the 200 premium, but with that being said, I would really look at the recticles and see what one you like better.

I currently have a mk6 and mk5 3-18 and I have no complaints.