• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help deciding on parts for a custom rifle?

BadInternetGuy

Private
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2022
Kentucky
Hey all, made a post a couple days ago about choosing a .308 action and got a ton of help.

I believe I'm gonna end up going with a Bighorn Origin action on a Foundation Exodus stock. Was wondering if anyone had recommendations for what kind of barrel to get, and where?

I was planning to go with a Preferred Barrel Blanks barrel in a Heavy Palma contour. Also planning to throw am OSS suppressor on the end if that makes a difference.

Also, this will be my first entry into the world of rifle building, so are there any special tools I need other than a barrel vise?

Apologies for the wall of text, was hoping to ease my worries about building my first rifle.

Thanks im advance!

Hard to beat Deep South tactical, southern precision rifles, front range precision. They all have a pretty well proven record on here and all can do basically anything with a bighorn origin.

A lot of it is personal preference.

I prefer cut rifled barrels from Krieger, Bartlein, Brux, HH, etc. I usually source my barrel blanks from Bugholes.

Do you already have the OSS? If not, I would consider a precision rifle oriented suppressor. OSS with their flow-through design is not optimal for bolt guns.

You will also need an action wrench and torque wrench, along with the barrel vice.

You need an action wrench also.

Some say to get go/no go gauges also.

ETA: You don't need a torque wrench. You can do without one as some use them and some don't.

A lot of it is personal preference.

I prefer cut rifled barrels from Krieger, Bartlein, Brux, HH, etc. I usually source my barrel blanks from Bugholes.

Do you already have the OSS? If not, I would consider a precision rifle oriented suppressor. OSS with their flow-through design is not optimal for bolt guns.

You will also need an action wrench and torque wrench, along with the barrel vice.
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but if i order a barrel from any of those manufacturers, can i get it threaded for the Origin action? Or will I need to get a gunsmith to do that?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but if i order a barrel from any of those manufacturers, can i get it threaded for the Origin action? Or will I need to get a gunsmith to do that?
Gunsmith will have to cut on a barrel blank.
But bugholes that he mentioned is a distributor for all those brands but they also gunsmith as well (southern precision rifles).

Bugholes is cutting a Bartlein CF barrel for my Origin. I shipped my action to them, they will cut the barrel and install then send it back. I shoot carbon fiber barrels exclusively because I can’t stand how much marriage I get of steel barrels.