• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Help Deciding on Scope best for me

joeycannoli

Private
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2023
USA
Hello all. I just purchased a LMT MARS-H 7.62 with the 16” barrel. I am trying to get some help on which scope would be best for my application and future plans. I’d like to buy once and be done.

I mainly will use this rifle for target shooting and long range. About 400-500 yards for now and room to grow. I may upgrade the barrel to a 18” down the road so I am trying to factor the potential longer range capability with the scope.

First focal plane is what I would like. Looking for something up to a $2k budget. I’ve researched the following and have them on my list:

NF NX8 2.5-20x50
NF NX8 4-32x50
NF ATACR 4-18x42

Leupold MK5 HD 3.6-18x44

Do you mind sharing your thoughts on what would be best for my application? Any other scopes I should look at? I appreciate the help!

Reactions: simonp and Sigma
Hello all. I just purchased a LMT MARS-H 7.62 with the 16” barrel. I am trying to get some help on which scope would be best for my application and future plans. I’d like to buy once and be done.

I mainly will use this rifle for target shooting and long range. About 400-500 yards for now and room to grow. I may upgrade the barrel to a 18” down the road so I am trying to factor the potential longer range capability with the scope.

First focal plane is what I would like. Looking for something up to a $2k budget. I’ve researched the following and have them on my list:

NF NX8 2.5-20x50
NF NX8 4-32x50
NF ATACR 4-18x42

Leupold MK5 HD 3.6-18x44

Do you mind sharing your thoughts on what would be best for my application? Any other scopes I should look at? I appreciate the help!
i’d highly suggest you let Doug take care of you on your dilemma. Absolutely one of the best in the business!

No need to spend that much for what you want. Take a good look at the Burris XTRIIIi 3.3-18x50 or if you wanted more power a 5.5-30x56. Also the Bushnell offerings are worth a look as well. The DMR3 with EQL reticle would be worth a hard look.

Reactions: Glassaholic
Depending on what brand you’re after, Scott at liberty optics or Doug at camera land are the guys to contact. As mentioned above, the Burris xtrIIIi’s look like they could fit your bill. Athlon Cronus BTR is another contender.

Check out opticsthoughts.com. Has great recommendations for use and budgets. The man behind it is a pretty big authority on scope reviews. Might help you out.

NF NX8 2.5-20x50
NF NX8 4-32x50
NF ATACR 4-18x42

Leupold MK5 HD 3.6-18x44

Hard to say which scope is "best" for your application, there are many great options, so I'm going to tell you a little more about the scopes you've listed.
  • NF NX8 2.5-20x50 - great scope especially if you plan to put a clipon in front of it one day, but because of the 8x erector and short body design this scope is going to be more finicky for eyebox, parallax and DOF. Also, if you want a scope that is usable at low mag, NF doesn't offer the greatest reticles though they do have very bright illumination which could make up for it. Turrets are okay, they don't suck but they're nothing to write home about either.
  • NF NX8 4-32x50 - this is a longer scope than 2.5-20 design so a bit less finicky but the mag range is not ideal and reports so scope gets dark pretty quick at high mags.
  • NF ATACR 4-16x42 - you mistyped 4-18 above, but I know you meant the venerable 4-16. Excellent scope for this purpose with excellent turrets, highly regarded in the community for gas gun use.
  • Leupold MK5 HD 3.6-18x44 - another great gas gun scope, pretty light but odd 35mm tube makes it inconvenient if you switch scopes and mounts around. Illumination comes at a very high cost and reticles don't lend themself to useful low mag work.
I agree with Rob above, the Burris XTRIIIi 3.3-18x50 is a great scope but not a great reticle for low mag work, illumination not too bright from early reports as well.

Here's my MARS-H with my March 4.5-28x52 on it, I have a 14" pinned 7.62 barrel and an 18" 6.5 Creedmoor barrel so felt this scope would be ideal for this situation; however, with just the 7.62 a nice MPVO would be better suited, but I'm still waiting for a "nice" one to appear. The new March 1.5-15x42 shows great promise on paper but until I get a production unit in person I can't say, both March's are above your price point but just pointing out there are many different options. What I like about the 4.5-28 is it's wide FOV and it is short enough for a clip on thermal, and under the magic 30oz mark which I prefer my scopes to be for gas guns.

20221201_LMT MWS MARS-H_ODG_022.jpg