• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Help determining Bolt body OD

daybreak1199

Private
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
Hey guys,

I need some help, I don't own any micrometers and I'm trying to determine the OD of a Savage 10 SA 308 bolt body. I am attempting to order a new bolt body from Pacific Tool and Guage. On the order form it states: "Specify OD (Std .6995 to .700)". Would someone with a similar bolt be willing to post their OD measurement?

Thanks in advance

V/R
Jason

Re: Help determining Bolt body OD

You need to determine if you are looking for a tighter fit or just the same as factory. Even factory bolts will have different diameters.

I just measured two of mine and they measured .694-.695 depending on where along the bolt they were measured.

I'm not sure .0005 would make much difference since the Kiff bolts alre already .004-.005 larger than factory sized bolts...

Call PT&G. They will set you straight.

You need to determine if you are looking for a tighter fit or just the same as factory. Even factory bolts will have different diameters.

I just measured two of mine and they measured .694-.695 depending on where along the bolt they were measured.

I'm not sure .0005 would make much difference since the Kiff bolts alre already .004-.005 larger than factory sized bolts...

Call PT&G. They will set you straight.

Shouldn't a guy be more concerned with determining the diameter of the receiver bore?

If you knew this, then you could size the bolt appropriately so that it's a slip fit into the receiver.

Good luck,

C.

Some calipers would come in handy for more than just measuring the bolt.....might as well budget them in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hero's machine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some calipers would come in handy for more than just measuring the bolt.....might as well budget them in. </div></div>

Just made the order. Thanks for the help and advice everyone!