• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help!!! Did I mess up my first bedding attempt

Hoytman

Private
Minuteman
May 11, 2018
So I used marine Tex for compound. Johnson paste wax for release agent. I got the action threads and screws good with wax but after setting the action and screws I noticed I have marine Tex inside the action. I didn’t put much wax inside the action. It’s not fully cure but I’m worried I screwed it all up

Attachments

• 27863F9E-D1BF-446B-AE94-CA88F4F1F2A7.jpeg
    27863F9E-D1BF-446B-AE94-CA88F4F1F2A7.jpeg
    242.2 KB · Views: 183
I’m assuming a it’s a small amount that got pushed up through the screw hole

Too late to wipe it off then? q-tip and alcohol is what I use to clean up the excess.

Should I take it all apart and just say screw the bedding attempt
If it's still wet you still have time. But get after it. Alcohol on a q-tip and paper towel will do wonders to clean up non-hardened epoxy. I'd clean up the stuff on the side of the action that way as well.

Did you get the action screws started in the action before seating the action in the marintex? If so, I wouldn't worry too much. Just make sure you break them loose a couple times as it cures. A tap should clean up any gunk that get on the threads.

FWIW, when I bed actions, I use overly long screws. That way I can give them a smack with a hammer once cured to help unseat the action linearly instead of using the barrel and stock and a pry bar.

It’s still soft. Should I just use q tips and alcohol and start wiping it out of the inside?
Yep. You can use dry ones or toothpicks as suggested to get the bulk out but when you're getting the final smears of epoxy off use rubbing alcohol.

Should I take it all apart and just say screw the bedding attempt
Probably safest, being not fully cured. Just dont smear it all over the place inside the action where its even tougher to get clean. Then do it again and either use blank screw studs in there to drop down through the stock or dam those action holes up with wax or shoe polish so that the goop cant get through again. All of the holes need to be plugged to prevent that.

I'm thinking if the inside was not stripped clean it won't stick.

Carbon, oil, anything other than clean and dry.

One smeary fingerprint and no dice in my past with that.

I did that once…. I got what I could out while it was tacky, then once I took the screws out, what was left just fell out

Just curious, do you happen to have the ability to pull the barrel off? It will not be easy to reach all of the epoxy behind the barrel by reaching through the ejection port, but if you can get the barrel off you'll have easy access. Just something to think about.

I pulled it and got it all cleaned before it cured. I can’t pull the barrel but I’m pretty sure it’s all good with a ton of q tips and cotton balls

God I hate bedding soooo much...it's a freaking mess.

I pulled it and got it all cleaned before it cured. I can’t pull the barrel but I’m pretty sure it’s all good with a ton of q tips and cotton balls
haha, alright well glad you don't have to sweat it at least. I wasn't sure pulling it from the stock would actually help you at all as you'd still have to reach through the ejection port to clean all that crud out where the lugs go. Next time make sure you have a method to get your action screws in the action before you set the action down in the compound. If it's not pillar bedded you can have the action screws and pillars mounted to the action ahead of time, then get your compound all over your stock, then put the action and pillars in the stock, then there is no chance any epoxy is going up through the action screw hole. Or use the longer screws as some others have mentioned. Or just put less epoxy near the hole and make sure you get that screw up in the action and started before you push it down. By the way, I had epoxy going all over the place on my first DIY bed job too, so you're definitely not alone.

Reactions: Snuby642
haha, alright well glad you don't have to sweat it at least. I wasn't sure pulling it from the stock would actually help you at all as you'd still have to reach through the ejection port to clean all that crud out where the lugs go. Next time make sure you have a method to get your action screws in the action before you set the action down in the compound. If it's not pillar bedded you can have the action screws and pillars mounted to the action ahead of time, then get your compound all over your stock, then put the action and pillars in the stock, then there is no chance any epoxy is going up through the action screw hole. Or use the longer screws as some others have mentioned. Or just put less epoxy near the hole and make sure you get that screw up in the action and started before you push it down. By the way, I had epoxy going all over the place on my first DIY bed job too, so you're definitely not alone.
Thanks for the input. I bought some longer screws yesterday and cut the heads off to use as guide screws. Much easier than trying to feed the screws up through the holes without getting compound everywhere. Got the 2nd attempt curing now. Feel much more confident this go around haha.