• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help - Drop Truing on Kestrel 4500NV w Horus Atrag

Bugaboo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2010
Prague, Czech Republic
I have the Kestrel with Horus ATrag and I would like to use the drop truing feature, however the manual is not very helpful and I can't seem to figure it out. Here are my issues:

1) The Drop Truing screen shows Range, Elevation and BC, while only the Range and BC can be adjusted. I tried to adjust the BC and nothing else changed. On the range, under the atmospheric conditions, I had to add 4 clicks at my zero range and I wanted to use the Drop True. When I adjusted the BC, I expected the clicks would change, so it would match my actual elevation setting - it didn't happen

2) My shooting buddy bought the same unit together with me, but his unit shows on the Drop Truing screen Muzzle Velocity as well. WTF?

3) Does the Drop Truing feature consider the actual weather conditions?

If you can give me step-by-step description of how to do it, please...

As mentioned above, the manual is not very helpful. I am either stupid (possible), or there's a problem. Either way, any help will be greatly appreciated.

I hate to re animate such an old thread but I have been wondering this as well. The Kestrel Atrag manual is as stated not that helpful when it comes to the truing feature.

Thanks.

You do not want to adjust the B.C. of the particular bullet you are using until the bullet goes subsonic. This is a whole different input area within your gun menu, in B.C. Field, you have to input three areas in this field.

Now, will try to explain the best I can on the original question. It sounds that you may have some data stored some where in the meter that will not allow you to adjust the MV in the drop true field. In the drop true menu, the only area that you need to adjust is the MV to match your shooting condition of that day you zeroed. When you adjust the MV, your elevation will change to match the elevation you needed.

Did you store anything within the MV field in the gun select menu for your gun? If so, your drop true feature will not work. These two areas do not work in conjunction with one another. You can either use the drop true feature alone, or the MV temp feature alone. If you have a MV temp store within the unit, I then go to the drop true field, then the only thing I can adjust is the range and BC. I just checked on my meter, and that is the only areas I can adjust. So, you need to clear out your MV temp inputs you have, then your drop true will work. I will explained the differences of the two in a moment.

So, which do I use, drop trueing, or MV temp? I use drop trueing on ammo that is temp stable in all temp ranges. Example, my .260 using Hodgen powder, is darn near spot on in cold and hot weather. So I only use drop trueing with it, and I have confirmed in both heat and cold weather and is spot on.

For the MV temp field, I only use the feature for ammo that is not temp stable in guns I use. Example, use M118LR is not temp stable, or 300 WM using Reloader 22 powder that is not them stable. The powder is my variance when shooting long range. Shoots slower in the cold, then faster in the hot days. Is it ideal, heck no but that is what I have to deal with. Use the MV temp field with this type of ammo. When using this feature, store at least two temps for the meter to adjust off of when temp changes through out the day. I store one cold, and one hot. It does adjust for shooting conditions of the day. I have used this in all weather conditions, and at different DA, always spot on.

Hope this helps for now. Again, do not adjust your BC of a bullet until it goes subsonic. Use Litz's BC's of bullets to give accurate results. I am sure more questions will follow after this.

You do not want to adjust the B.C. of the particular bullet you are using until the bullet goes subsonic. This is a whole different input area within your gun menu, in B.C. Field, you have to input three areas in this field.

Now, will try to explain the best I can on the original question. It sounds that you may have some data stored some where in the meter that will not allow you to adjust the MV in the drop true field. In the drop true menu, the only area that you need to adjust is the MV to match your shooting condition of that day you zeroed. When you adjust the MV, your elevation will change to match the elevation you needed.

Did you store anything within the MV field in the gun select menu for your gun? If so, your drop true feature will not work. These two areas do not work in conjunction with one another. You can either use the drop true feature alone, or the MV temp feature alone. If you have a MV temp store within the unit, I then go to the drop true field, then the only thing I can adjust is the range and BC. I just checked on my meter, and that is the only areas I can adjust. So, you need to clear out your MV temp inputs you have, then your drop true will work. I will explained the differences of the two in a moment.

So, which do I use, drop trueing, or MV temp? I use drop trueing on ammo that is temp stable in all temp ranges. Example, my .260 using Hodgen powder, is darn near spot on in cold and hot weather. So I only use drop trueing with it, and I have confirmed in both heat and cold weather and is spot on.

For the MV temp field, I only use the feature for ammo that is not temp stable in guns I use. Example, use M118LR is not temp stable, or 300 WM using Reloader 22 powder that is not them stable. The powder is my variance when shooting long range. Shoots slower in the cold, then faster in the hot days. Is it ideal, heck no but that is what I have to deal with. Use the MV temp field with this type of ammo. When using this feature, store at least two temps for the meter to adjust off of when temp changes through out the day. I store one cold, and one hot. It does adjust for shooting conditions of the day. I have used this in all weather conditions, and at different DA, always spot on.

Hope this helps for now. Again, do not adjust your BC of a bullet until it goes subsonic. Use Litz's BC's of bullets to give accurate results. I am sure more questions will follow after this.

I did get my BC from Litz so did not want to mess with that. But I adjusted the MV. However in hind sight I think I should have adjusted MV temp as I did chrono that day at 2727 FPS in the morning but once I had raised the MV to 2765 all the other data fit later in the day. What I think that I should have done now is enter MV temp even though I was using a supposed non temp sensitive powder, the rounds were in the sunlight for an extended period of time and much warmer by the time I was shooting out to 1186Y later that day.

Thanks again for the info, very valuable.