• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help Fast please.. my shell is stuck

SPRINKLE

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2009
New Mexico
I just bought a dillon 550 and am setting it up. as i was setting the decaping/resizing die the shell got stuck in the die and the bottom ring is in the black shell holder...what do i do ??? how do you get it out....

Re: Help Fast please.. my shell is stuck

Depends on what dies you are using!

Go to youtube and search "stuck case removal"!

Terry

Are they carbide dies? Are you using case lube?

Just a thought, if you have Dillon dies, it may be possible to get a wrench on the stuck die and wrench it off. I only run Dillon pistol dies and they all have flats to put a wrench on. It seems to me that you could wrench the die off, using the shellplate as a stuck-case remover. Otherewise, I see only two options.

Option 1: Remove unstuck dies from toolhead. Loosen the stuck die in the toolhead as much as possible to possibly give you enough access to remove the shellplate. Use a stuck-case remover to remove the brass from the die.

Option 2: force the handle up, stripping the stuck case from the shellplate. Remove the offending die from the toolhead. Use a stuck-case remover to remove the brass from the die.

Lessons Learned: 1. Never re-size rifle cases without lube,
2. Never reload without a stuck-case remover.

Tsprink - I just PMed you my cell number. Call me and I'll help anyway I can.

For the cost of shipping, you can buy a stuck case remover.

Thanks guys, I called dillon they said pull it hard, they are way stronger than me.. I finally unscrewed the top it was very hard to get off. then i took a drill bit and hammer and beat it out. problem... there was a little threaded piece i think it sizes the neck.. and from hitting it i messed up the threads. so i called dillon they are sending me a new one..
i lubbed the case only to read later you had to let it dry then resize.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hummer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think I now know why I don't want a progressive ! ! ! </div></div>

The press had nothing to do with why the case was stuck. Lack of lube or at least a failure to apply it properly stuck the case. It can happen on any type of press.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hummer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think I now know why I don't want a progressive ! ! ! </div></div>

Don't know what you're missing! I can't imagine cranking out two or three thousand rounds of .45ACP each month on a single stage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieNFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hummer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think I now know why I don't want a progressive ! ! ! </div></div>

Don't know what you're missing! I can't imagine cranking out two or three thousand rounds of .45ACP each month on a single stage. </div></div>

+1. Love it for .45 and .223.

It really did get stuck because i am stupid lol I lubed it bud didnt read far enough to see you had to let it dry... I love my 550 so far lol

you'd have to have no job / life in order to reload that many rounds on a single stage.. i always took it :

single stage : precision
progressive : mass production

i only run a single stage but im also not trying to meet that kind of production.. the 50 beowulf rounds i've been loading seem to take a little more control / attention than some of the other rounds. biggest hurdle to date was dealing with these shitty LEE dies.. have had nothing but problems with them. only for this caliber though.. no problems elsewhere..

wouldnt think it would matter that much wether your case lube was wet or completely dry , maybe with the lube your using it does.. but both my Hornady One Shot and Lee case lube , neither recommend using dry.. i always thought it was just a little less messy when dried.. maybe not enough lube ? could be a undersized die ? ..

have you since removed the case ? all my lee dies are the same , they all have the collet design on top and you can pull that collet out and then access the top of the die to drive / remove the shell from die. it didnt roll the lip inside the shell plate ? thats what happened to me so i had no way to try pulling it out with the press, had to go straight to punching the case out ..

Same thing happened to me right when I got my 550 with dillon dies and a .223 case. I apparently bought hornady one shot gun lube instead of case lube...attention to detail.

Sent it in to dillon and they had to replace the decapping pin because I broke it off trying to unstick the case. The bad part was, I went out and bought another set of dies (hornady this time) because I was anxious to use the press and didn't want to wait a couple weeks to get dies back

Only after I stuck another case in the new die set did I realize I used the wrong lube. Back to Cabelas to get a RCBS stuck case remover (wonderful investment), and some dillon lube, and I was back in business.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wouldnt think it would matter that much wether your case lube was wet or completely dry , maybe with the lube your using it does</div></div>

lubes like dillon case lube are alcohol based and the alcohol needs to evaporate before you start sizing or you could have problems.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wouldnt think it would matter that much wether your case lube was wet or completely dry , maybe with the lube your using it does.. but both my Hornady One Shot and Lee case lube , neither recommend using dry..</div></div>

One Shot is less forgiving than other lubes.

I drill out the primer pocket, tap to 1/4-20, and use a piece of pipe, a few washers, and a bolt to pull a stuck case.

It happens sometimes. I use only sizing wax now. I gave up on one shot.

Pam cooking spray works, too.

Been married for 16yrs so nothing really gets stuck anymore. Its ashame.

If you get a stuck case in a Dillon sizer die, you are in luck. All you have to do is pull the clip off the decapping rod, then take a wrench and screw the rod all the way down. The force will push the stuck case out of the die. Now just pull the case off the expander ball. It is almost painless with Dillon dies.

The lyman case lube works well too. I got one stuck in my 650 decapping/sizing die a while back. I tried everything to get it out. Heated it, pried it, pulled it, used a vice. Nothing worked. I went and bought a stuck case remover. Most OL stores and good reloading stores have them. You drill out the primer pocket with the provided drill bit. Tap it with the provided tap and use a bolt shimmed up away from the die with a cup type spacer. The shell came out soooooo easy. I guess you have to be smarter than the things your working with.