• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help finding a Springfield 1903 Sniper

Alexander Cain

Certifiable
Minuteman
May 14, 2014
South Carolina
I've collected a few surplus rifles over the years on top of my more modern ones. I've got several mausers, an Enfield, a stack of mosins, Etc. And I've always wanted a 1903 Sniper, but I've never really actively looked for one. After shooting one a friend of mine inherited I got the itch to find one now. I've looked around and cant seem to find one (of course the 2-3K ones). I am fine with a reproduction, I see Gibbs is still listing them but I'm not sure if they are worth the money from some mixed reviews. I want something to shoot, not a safe queen like some of my other older rifles.

I've collected a few surplus rifles over the years on top of my more modern ones. I've got several mausers, an Enfield, a stack of mosins, Etc. And I've always wanted a 1903 Sniper, but I've never really actively looked for one. After shooting one a friend of mine inherited I got the itch to find one now. I've looked around and cant seem to find one (of course the 2-3K ones). I am fine with a reproduction, I see Gibbs is still listing them but I'm not sure if they are worth the money from some mixed reviews. I want something to shoot, not a safe queen like some of my other older rifles.

If a reproduction works, there out there. My smith builds them for us. He's done so many he's started doing different calibers. 260s, 308Win, etc. (Does the same with Garands) He sells them through Gun and Knife Country in Oak Grove KY.

Pic sucks but here are some he just finished up. I am going to have him make me a straight stock with finger grooves this year. Not sure if I'm going 30-06 or maybe 6.5x284 or 284Win.

1903 snipers.jpg

Reactions: sandwarrior
If a reproduction works, there out there. My smith builds them for us. He's done so many he's started doing different calibers. 260s, 308Win, etc. (Does the same with Garands) He sells them through Gun and Knife Country in Oak Grove KY.

Pic sucks but here are some he just finished up. I am going to have him make me a straight stock with finger grooves this year. Not sure if I'm going 30-06 or maybe 6.5x284 or 284Win.

View attachment 6997897
Does he do 1903A4's? I'm looking for this style and in 30-06:
wm_5936178.jpg

Reactions: sandwarrior
Yes. He just did one in 260 for a buddys wife. He builds the rifles and gets then ready for mounts and scopes but leaves that for the end user most of the time.

No idea on pricing since he usually makes them for a gun store to resell. He makes my shit cheap because we've been buddies since he got back from A-stan in '02. Everything he makes is accurate. He does a lot of vintage sniper matches so he does several levels of builds, as there are specific rules for CMP matches

If you want I can hit him up with some of this, just PM me with exactly what you want and any questions.

Depends on what you want, I built mine but I use it for the CMP Vintage Sniper Matches.
DSCN0111.JPG

Except for the scope its all GI, This scope is the Weaver 2.5X w/post. It works but not as clear as I like. I since put a Repo M-82 w/Cross Hairs. Its clear, and the fine cross hairs helps my scores. Didnt really cost that much. I just had to buy the barrel and stock, a friend gave me the action and the rest of the parts. Turned out to be a pretty good shooter.
DSCN0110.JPG

Just for kicks I put a 6X24 Vortex on it to see what happens. Even as an AS Issued 'A3, with modern glass it'll keep up with most of the modern snipers out there.

Depends on what you want, I built mine but I use it for the CMP Vintage Sniper Matches.
DSCN0111.JPG

Except for the scope its all GI, This scope is the Weaver 2.5X w/post. It works but not as clear as I like. I since put a Repo M-82 w/Cross Hairs. Its clear, and the fine cross hairs helps my scores. Didnt really cost that much. I just had to buy the barrel and stock, a friend gave me the action and the rest of the parts. Turned out to be a pretty good shooter.
DSCN0110.JPG

Just for kicks I put a 6X24 Vortex on it to see what happens. Even as an AS Issued 'A3, with modern glass it'll keep up with most of the modern snipers out there.
This is what I need in my life lol, it doesn't need to have matching serial numbers. I just want it to be accurate and functional.

I have a 1903 Springfield great condition over at a gun shop trying to sell .

@kraigWY what kind of accuracy are you seeing out of your clone? Like 1.5moa or lower at 100? I am in the process of building a 03a4 clone from a 03a3 receiver I just bought. Realistically only expecting sub 2moa but if I could get moa or sub moa with hand loads I'd be stoked.

You must forgive me I am having trouble navigating around this sight but my 1903 is not a clone it’s a original and the gun Smith “Jim” can tell you all about it . Also it’s in excellent shape

What is it? What I mean is, is it an original service rifle M1903 Springfield, an original Remington M1903A4 Sniper, or an original 1903A1 USMC Unertl?

i saw those. in the middle of building a shop and having a new rifle being built so i may have to wait a while

I just recently purchased a real 1903a4. I'm big on authenticity so I don't have any repros or repro parts on my rifles. However, looking at some youtube videos, the Gibbs rifles seem to be very good. If you want a real 1903 sniper, the most cost effective ones are going to be the A4's, and these are also the easiest to tell real from repro. Check out a M1D Garand as those are super fun too and I have effectively hit man size targets out to 800 yards with it. Also, look up Chuck in Denver on Warpath Vintage LLC. He does a lot of work of converting A3's into A4 clones.

Attachments

• IMG_3976.jpg
    IMG_3976.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 43