• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help finding an A-R

jdwelch10

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 20, 2008
Central Texas
I have a pretty good idea what I want but I haven't been able to find it configured from a manufacturer the way I want. I am very limited on knowlegde of A/R's by the way and have never owned one. So I'm not picky on brand names but would like something that is solid and a good platform but would like to keep the weapon under 1k. I'm wanting a flat top receiver with a bull barrel that is about 14-16 inches with a free floated hand guard with a quad rail. I don't need extreme accuracy but would like at least 1 moa. Something I can shoot out to 300 yards maybe but is plenty maneuverable for self defense stuff. I thought about putting one together myself ... How difficult would it be for someone that is a rookie ?

Re: Help finding an A-R

If you can put together legos, you can put together an AR.

Does it save you much money putting it together yourself ? And is it just a complete upper, complete lower, barrel, and then accessorize ?

You can definitely save money putting an AR together on your own.

It is not terribly difficult to assemble an AR (upper and lower) from its basic components as long as you have the proper tools/equipment which aren't expensive or hard to find. How much you have to "build" depends on you.

For example, you can buy completely assembled lowers, complete barreled uppers and all the work invoved is putting the upper on the lower and pushing in the pivot and take-down pins. You can also buy a stripped lower, lower parts kit, buttstock kit, stripped upper, upper parts, etc., etc. and assemble from scratch which takes a little more time, effort and patience.

Your best bet is to look for used guns in the sales forums here and on AR15.com

There are a lot of great deals out there.

ETA, you don't need a bull barrel.

Let me add, don't worry about the hand guard right now, instead spend your $1k on getting a higher quality barrel. You can always add a free float tube later.

BCM Blem complete Lower w/ M4 stock - $250
BCM 16" Mid-Length SS - $475
BCM Bolt Carrier Group - $135
Mid Length standard hand guards - $20
Charging handle - $20

$900 total for a top quality BCM AR less rear sight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jdwelch10</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does it save you much money putting it together yourself ? And is it just a complete upper, complete lower, barrel, and then accessorize ? </div></div>

You CAN save money building one, but you will NOT save money if you build it yourself.

I'm saying this as someone who pieces together an AR's. You can sift through the classifieds to get good deals and save a few bucks. The problem is that once you set out to build a gun from scratch you start paying attention to every detail. Once you are aware of all the details you will end up wanting to use better and better parts, otherwise you will be left with the feeling that you compromised.

For your first AR just buy one new off the shelf that's ready to go, especially if your budget is around 1k. If you try to build one for 1k you will have a decent gun, but you will be all to aware of where you can "upgrade". When just buying one you get to be blissfully ignorant. Just my $.02

If you have never built an AR you will also need to invest in tools, or find some to borrow.

Thanks for the input. That helps. I can spend a bit more but didn't want to get too crazy with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmpowder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a DPMS sweet 16 I'm thinking about selling if that"s something your looking for. </div></div>
Pretty close to openly skirting the house rules....

Rock River makes good stuff. Unless you plan on spending a lot of time learning the ins and outs of a custom AR, I'd go with Rock River for the price point you mentioned. White Oak is one of the best...but at a higher price point.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rock River makes good stuff. Unless you plan on spending a lot of time learning the ins and outs of a custom AR, I'd go with Rock River for the price point you mentioned. White Oak is one of the best...but at a higher price point. </div></div>

+1 In the $1000 price range I would go with Rock River too.

Why does no one ever mention Spikes Tactical?
Upper
Lower on sale

250 Complete lower M4 butstock
675 Complete upper BCG/CH with FF hand guard 1-7 twist 5.56
925 still leaves some for shipping and transfer

I wouldn't hesitate to deal with spikes tactical.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Calibur</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why does no one ever mention Spikes Tactical?
Upper
Lower on sale

I wouldn't hesitate to deal with spikes tactical. </div></div>

I personally have no experience with Spikes, but I do hear good things about them, I'll probably be using some of their components for my 9mm SBR build; they also have a billet lower with all the bells and whistles I want to try out...

I never mention spikes because they have a retarded looking logo and they place it as big as possible (in white) on all their products. If you go with spikes just be prepared to paint it, or be comfortable owning something that looks like a piece of airsoft kit. Just my opinion...

The responses have been great thanks for the help. Y'all have mentioned some different brands and ideas I didn't know of or thought of.

I dont mention Spikes due to their business practices of lieing to their customers.

Right now if you are wanting billet.... try Head Down Products, they are producing an exceptional rifle and can be hand in any configuration you want.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: westford86</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Calibur</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why does no one ever mention Spikes Tactical?
Upper
Lower on sale

I wouldn't hesitate to deal with spikes tactical. </div></div>

I personally have no experience with Spikes, but I do hear good things about them, I'll probably be using some of their components for my 9mm SBR build; they also have a billet lower with all the bells and whistles I want to try out...

I never mention spikes because they have a retarded looking logo and they place it as big as possible (in white) on all their products. If you go with spikes just be prepared to paint it, or be comfortable owning something that looks like a piece of airsoft kit. Just my opinion...
</div></div>

I really like Spike's. I have bought quite a bit for them for my personal guns, and also for the store. They have a great deal on a mil spec carbine for $799.00. Also their 9mm gear is outstanding. Another plus is they are low shelf lowers, so they work with my RDIAS.

IMGP3943.jpg

IMGP3960.jpg

Also ... What is the biggest difference in a more expensive holographic like an Eotec and something like a bushnell ? Is it the clarity and quality of glass or is it more of a durability issue or both ?

Between the Eotech and the Bushnell, the eotech is more durable. Other then that the internals are mostly the same.

After looking around I think deal rock river has going on the elite operator 2 for 1k is really close to what I'm looking for for the price. I'll prob go with that. I have some stuff I need to sell first though. Patience isn't a virtue of mine

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jdwelch10</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After looking around I think deal rock river has going on the elite operator 2 for 1k is really close to what I'm looking for for the price. I'll prob go with that. I have some stuff I need to sell first though. Patience isn't a virtue of mine </div></div>

I haven't shot an elite operator 2 but I've handled a few. For the money the fit and finish is superb, some people have petty complaints about Rock River, but without going full on custom or super high end it's hard to beat. I built up a middy with all Rock River parts and a WOA barrel and it runs great, the fit of the upper and lower receiver is better than my POF.

I will always think that forend is fugly but it's actually fairly practical, If I was in your shoes the elite operator 2 would be top on my list. You should also shop around, there is a guy selling one over on AR15 for $900.

On a side note... I'm not sure if the EO2's has the RR two stage national match trigger or just a regular two stage. If it only has the regular two stage (that would be my guess) I'd upgrade to their two stage national match, it's worth every penny. It's not quite a Geissele, but for $120 it's a great value; I've come to really like RR triggers, particularly the two stage NM, I have no complaints about mine.

Sorry for double posting, but I forgot to mention one thing. Even though RR is backordered for weeks they still manage to provide great customer service and warranty. When I was building my middy I was an idiot and f'd up the upper receiver (it was 100% my fault) they replaced it for me and within two weeks of sending it in. Just to note, the warranty went through my local dealer who I bought the parts from.

When dealing with a new platform for the first time, having good CS and factory support can be a big plus if something does go wrong.

If 1 MOA would be satisfactory to you and you want to get some experience building the thing I'll give you a suggestion. Go to this site: http://www.del-ton.com and check out their rifle or carbine kits. All you do is add a lower, you get the LPK and you assemble it yourself. You can add things to the upper to slightly customize it. You should be able to pick up a stripped lower at this point for around $100 even with a transfer fee.

There's nothing wrong with RRA like has been suggested to you. If you want to run factory check out DPMS and Armalite as well.

i put together my first ar15 two months ago, very easy to do. just research online the basic procedure, get the necessary tools, and you can get it done in less than an hour with all the parts placed in front of you

youtube is your friend in this. any kind of video about building an ar can be had there.